May 2014 Studebaker Nationals and Orhpan Car Drags video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 2014 Studebaker Nationals and Orhpan Car Drags video

Here is a video of the 2014 Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drags. To get the best view look at it in full screen.
    We're looking forward to May 23, 2015, so get working on these projects and bring them in May. Or bring your Studebaker as is, join us and have some fun.
    It's a good way for everyone to see your car in action with a bunch of other Studebakers and make some more memories with your car/truck. You can see in the video my son and his son Parker dressed up to look like they came out of the fifties in his '51 pickup. They had fun that day.
    Enjoy,
    Richard
    The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Very cool, I would love to come and run there one day, sure is a long haul to get there for me though. I was having trouble hearing the times and mph from the announcer. Do you know any of them?
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Pat,
      I may be able to remember some of the times you want to know. What time for what car or truck are you wondering about? The track would provide them to me but we are running for fun so I don't get them and I don't normally post them. Some drivers have never run down the track before and are just having an experience.
      My Green Challenger ran a best that day of 7.77. That's slower than my best 1/8th mile at 7.36.
      Thanks for asking.
      Richard
      The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Thanks Richard, that's impressive and gives me a point of reference for other cars I saw you run with. I am curious about some of the supercharged cars because I know they run great mph in the 1/4 mile. Just wondering how much of those times are made in the second half of the track when the boost comes in.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Pat,
          Great question. I did a lot of research on that subject years ago when I was tuning my R1 for pure stock racing. If my memory is correct I took 8 or 10 runs when my R1 ran heads up with R2s so it would be a good comparison, same track same run side by side. As I remember the R1 took about 64 to 66% of total 1/4 ET in the first 1/8th mile. An R2 will take around 66 to 68%, as I remember. I would need to go back years and look at 100s of time slips to get exact numbers. I always tried to run within one second of Ted with my R1 in the 1/4.
          So R1s are quicker, but R2s are faster at the start of the race. At the same et with a R1 and an R2 at the 1/8th, the R2 maybe going up to 6mph faster.
          Is that what you needed?
          Maybe I'll look it up for you when I have time.
          Richard

Comment

Yes that is it exactly, No need to go to a lot of trouble to research it further Richard. What you posted makes a lot of sense to me. Even from watching the PSMCDR it seemed a lot of cars in the shoot outs would be ahead of the R2 cars at the 1/8th and then get passed before the 1/4 mile finish. Reminds me of when Nitrous first came on the scene, you would think you had someone beat and they would come blowing past you going 10-15 mph faster on the big end.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA

Comment

This is the video I made at the 2014 PSMCDR. Maybe you have already looked at it.

Richard

Comment

Richard we have wanted to attend your event for many years . Can you recommend a place to stay Friday night ? Thanks Ed

Comment

Yes I can Ed. Most people (racers) stay at the Salt Creek Inn. It's cheap but I'm told it's also clean. I think it's around $60 a night that time of year, a little more if you have a pet. There are lots more places to stay so let me know if you want any more information.
                  Richard

Comment

Made a 4 day reservation at Salt Creek May 20-23 . You can get the kitchenet and full size beds for $71.68. A lot of nice shops are in Nashville. I went back in 2009 and have wanted to return.
                    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Good Tom,
                      We look forward to seeing you here again. Locals at the track still remember your Avanti.
                      Richard

Comment

Working...
                      X