Opportunity to "have it your way."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opportunity to "have it your way."

Check out this Avanti. Seems like, some time back, we had a long running thread discussing something like...there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti. If you are young enough, have some money to risk, a bit adventurous, and dream of owning an Avanti...this could be your chance.

Before you leap for it, consider that the owner might be in Los Angeles, and the car is on Long Island, NY. Could be an interesting story.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

At least it has, according to the owner, a 'rust free body'...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yeh. I just hate rusty fiberglass!
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

It is in the same town as the first "square headlight" Avanti sold to the public was sold (they still own it, last that I knew).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Too many questions for me to pay much. Seller has no idea what's there and what's not, what the engines are, what the paint was, how much damage it has from being a storage shelf, etc... and most of all, how are the hog troughs?

Being just 5 hours away, I would be interested in buying it to part out. But at a grand, it's getting to the top end of what I'd pay without knowing what block it has. Parting it out might be a profitable winter project though.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The picture of the serial number seems to show that it has been cut out of the frame for some reason. That could be a problem for title purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by jd-stude View Post
              The picture of the serial number seems to show that it has been cut out of the frame for some reason. That could be a problem for title purposes.
              It possibly is no longer on its original frame. The S/N plate was simply transfered to the replacement frame.
              I remember replacing frames on 1963 Avantis in the 1970s. People thought that because the cars were fiberglass that they could drive them year-round and not worry about rust, then they discovered that their Avanti's frame and torque boxes rusted out (within a decade).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It looks like the frame piece with serial plate was cut out with a torch and the piece laid on top of the existing frame on this car. Hard to tell for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                  It looks like the frame piece with serial plate was cut out with a torch and the piece laid on top of the existing frame on this car. Hard to tell for sure.
                  Since the car is now only about 75 miles from the shop that I worked PT at in the 1970s-1980s, it is possibly an Avanti that I worked on and that we did a frame swap on. I can't remember them all. I remember working on quite a few Studebakers that were brought up from Long Island to the shop.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    It possibly is no longer on its original frame. The S/N plate was simply transfered to the replacement frame.
                    I remember replacing frames on 1963 Avantis in the 1970s. People thought that because the cars were fiberglass that they could drive them year-round and not worry about rust, then they discovered that their Avanti's frame and torque boxes rusted out (within a decade).
                    Driving an Avanti year round CAN and IS being done Gary.....It's all in the preparation!

Comment

If that is the case, why is it that your Avanti is not routinely driven in those bad Boston winters:-)....after all what is snow but water in a different form?....and if so prepped, Avantis laugh at salt encrusted roadways:-)
                      Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      Driving an Avanti year round CAN and IS being done Gary.....It's all in the preparation!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                        If that is the case, why is it that your Avanti is not routinely driven in those bad Boston winters:-)....after all what is snow but water in a different form?....and if so prepped, Avantis laugh at salt encrusted roadways:-)
                        HL

I think you will find Ed drives his Avanti on a daily basis. His last post on the topic was switching to Winterforce tires so he can drive it in the winter. A quick search of his posts will confirm with pictures.

It's probably the only one in the country undergoing driving in those conditions.

Bob

Comment

The '63 Avanti I used to own never had rust problems...and I drove that in most any weather. The engine leaked enough oil to completely saturate the frame and hog troughs so moisture and salt never had a chance to attack them.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

About 10 years ago, I probably exposed the 62GT to more salt in a one day, 300 mile trip, than it had seen in its prior 40+ years. In February, I drove it north to an Indi Chapter meeting in Greenfield, IN. The weather was bad when I left home in KY, and only got worse. In Indiana the road was layered with snow and ice, mixed with salt and brine. I slipped & slid into the destination, only to discover the locals had cancelled it. Since then, rust has been creeping through in various cracks and crevices.

I will never purposely expose a Stude to such conditions. If I get caught in it, oh well. But I am not gonna knowingly drive out into a snow storm ever again.

I cannot imagine how a person could keep a Stude from rusting out if driving regularly in salt & brine.
                            Last edited by JoeHall; 11-30-2014, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Leaving for work at 6AM in the midst of a snowstorm last winter....Really no big deal Hawklover...You either DRIVE a Stude, or you TALK about driving a Stude!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X