Factory Dual Exhaust 1958 Commander Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Dual Exhaust 1958 Commander Hardtop

I've been searching for a pic of a car that has factory dual exhaust without any luck. I will need to get under my car again, but I believe it had factory dual exhaust at one time.

My question is how would it have been routed, and how would it have exited the car?

Unfortunately this car had a set of cheap 1960's vintage no-name mufflers on it which fell off the car when we loaded it on the trailer. I'm hoping that this car had some nice chrome tips on it when it was new, but am fully expecting it had turn downs beneath the rear bumper like most cars of this vintage did.

Thanks!

Chris

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop Coupe

My '58 President has them exiting out diagonally at the bumper corners.

The rest can really only go one way, the mufflers need to be INBOARD inlet and CENTER exit type, 2in. in and 1 3/4 out. That will put the tailpipes over the axle and canted inboard at the correct width to fit between the frame rails and gas tank, then straight back to a point within 10-12 in. from the bumper where they go 45 degrees to the corner, curve up then down and cut level to the ground.

Hope this helps some! [^]
    revised:OPPS! I had to revise the inlet/outlet locations after looking at my son's Packard pic, I had em backwards![:0]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This is 'Cleo' my '58 Packard sedan. She may not have a 'factory' system, but I believe it's very similar. She may be about as close as you will find to what you are looking for....

I'm still looking around for a 'good' one of her rear while she's on the ground. [:0] [^]

StudeDave [8D]
      V/P San Diego County SDC
      San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
      '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

edited to add a pic
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Oo, Dave, nice lift! I'm lusting!

Comment

Man, you guys are great! I too am jealous of the lift!!

I'm still stuck in the cardboard on concrete phase... atleast it's better than being on gravel like when my dad was a kid wrenching on cars![]

Gravel hurts. [^]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

Oo, Dave, nice lift! I'm lusting!
            quote:Originally posted by cjsteak

Man, you guys are great! I too am jealous of the lift!!

I'm still stuck in the cardboard on concrete phase... atleast it's better than being on gravel like when my dad was a kid wrenching on cars! [] Gravel hurts. [^]

Sorry to disappoint~ but the lift is one of the many that belong to the Auto Hobby Shop on base... that thing wouldn't even fit in the garage at my apartment!!!
            Glad I could help out.

StudeDave [8D]
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

A 1958 Commander had single exhaust standard and dual exhaust as an option.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

What type of mufflers came on the dual exhaust optioned cars? Was it the old fashioned round mufflers, that looked like a really long coffee can, or the more modern oval shaped ones like in your photos? Is there any particular brand that is pretty close to the originals?

I'm really tempted to put a nice flowmaster dual exhaust system on the car, but i'll install a stock system if there's something out there that is close.

Comment

All "stock type" mufflers are OVAL, except Trucks.
                  If you read the type of muffler I said it takes, you'll see it is what Dave has. Note the location of the "IN" and "OUTLET" pipes, they're different on each end, that is how you tell the type of Muffler that Studebakers use, from all the other styles out there! [^]

Dave's have been downsized from probably 2 1/4" to fit correct stock size pipes, if you want larger non-stock pipes, on those mufflers you see, you would just plug them right in and they would fit perfect without adapting! Remember, you don't have 400+ cu.in. to vent so a 259 cannot USE a much larger pipe, if you only went to 2 inch all the way that would relieve the back pressure on the muffler.

Brands are whatever you find! Walker should be a good one, if they still make what we need.

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I can testify that Walker no longer has any. I cleaned out the all the warehouses in the USA when I was a auto parts sales rep in early 80's. I have few in the garage if you want the part number in case I missed any.

JDP/Maryland
                    64 R2 GT cost to date
                    $60,984.29
                    63 R2 SuperHawk
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    54 Starlight
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP, Don't worry about the part number unless you really have it handy and it wouldn't be a pain in the neck to get to it.

StudeRich, Thanks for the clarification. I understood the measurements you gave me in the first response... I was just wanting to make sure of the shape because I've had several 40's and 50's vehicles that had perfectly round mufflers with similar inlet and outlet sizes you described. My '53 F100 was one, '49 Willys Jeep, '53 Ford 8N, Dad's '29 Graham Paige... and the list goes on. This is all great info, and i'm glad that the exhaust exits under the bumper. I think it'll look really nice when I put it on there. I really like your idea of using 2" pipe. Without a cam and head work, dual 2.5"s would lose too much low end torque. You're right on the money on that one.

Thanks for the help guys!

Chris Salisbury
                      Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

All "stock type" mufflers are OVAL, except Trucks.

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        I believe that this statement should be qualified with; "for all post World War II Studebakers.
                        I certainly agree that a 1958 sedan should have oval mufflers, but someone else may read the statement and extrapolate it to mean that all Studebaker cars, not trucks, used oval mufflers. IIRC, my 1940 President had a long round muffler.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Back when Packard Farms was only a gleam in Ed's wish list, they made a muffler for the Rockne from a piece of well casing. It should last a while.

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you are going to keep the car, I would put on a set of Don Simmons stainless pipes, front to back. (Silvertone Exhaust)

Fit and finish exceptional.

Paul R

Comment

Working...
                            X