4x4 1.5 ton Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 1.5 ton Truck

Can anyone shed some light on this truck? It is hard for me to know what it is supposed to be. I know the engine and trans are not original but the numbers don't match up with one truck. Apart from the numbers in the listing the sent me a message and this is an excerpt "I went out to check the Cab for the Serial number on the vehicle and it says R16 004059 and the model number is 2R16-55, so I still believe it is a 1949 1.5 ton." So, what is the consensus on this truck?

Len.

There's a thread on it over at the Studebaker truck Forum.....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes and the consensus is that the truck is a conglomerate of various parts on the truck forum. Interesting truck though. looks like it was a really nice looking at one time. However it doesn't seem so nice now. Still, a very interesting piece, especially since it has an automatic transmission, two-speed rear, and manual transfer box. How the devil would one shift that?
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks guys, just what I thought, not original although parts could be Studebaker. Not what I'm looking for so I'll leave it at that.

Len.

Comment

This truck was part of The Bell Collection at one time.
          I have seen it in person and can say that- yes- it is quite a collection of parts.
          But I mean that in a good way...

StudeDave '57
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
            Can anyone shed some light on this truck? It is hard for me to know what it is supposed to be. I know the engine and trans are not original but the numbers don't match up with one truck. Apart from the numbers in the listing the sent me a message and this is an excerpt "I went out to check the Cab for the Serial number on the vehicle and it says R16 004059 and the model number is 2R16-55, so I still believe it is a 1949 1.5 ton." So, what is the consensus on this truck?

Len.
            I think the consensus is that the cab (and serial plate) and front clip are from a 2R16, which was, indeed, a 1.5-ton truck. However, the 2R16 was not a 4WD truck, and in fact, Studebaker never built a 1.5-ton 4WD truck. They built 1/2, 3/4, and 1-ton 4WD 3E and 4E-series C-cabs for civilian use (and 1-ton only 5E-8E) , and 2 and 3-ton, RHD, 4WD C-cabs for the Indian Army. The latter did not go into production until 1951, so no 4WD Stude trucks of any kind in 1949. And nothing larger than a 1-ton for North American sales.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
              I think the consensus is that the cab (and serial plate) and front clip are from a 2R16, which was, indeed, a 1.5-ton truck.
              No, that is a fact. And adding to that- the chassis/frame is an old military 2.5 ton of some unknown make.

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment