Packard Factory in Jersey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Factory in Jersey?

OK - on another board, a new topic has been posted claiming that a old Packard factory in New Jersey still has cars in it, including the roof.

Any truth to this?

Chris Pile
    The Studebaker Special
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

I'm a block away from the "Packard" factory..Actually, its Kantor auto parts in Boonton NJ right by Rt 287..When you go past it, he has an old yello Packard on the roof and a Packard neon sign on the building. He has loads of old Packards and other misc cars inside the building. If I get a chance I'll take a photo of it and post it..

Packard never produced any cars in New Jersey. Studebaker had built a factory during the early 1950's in New Brunswick but, never used it and ended up selling it to , I beleive, Volkswagon..

[

Comment

I'm a block away from the "Packard" factory..Actually, its Kantor auto parts in Boonton NJ right by Rt 287..When you go past it, he has an old yello Packard on the roof and a Packard neon sign on the building. He has loads of old Packards and other misc cars inside the building. If I get a chance I'll take a photo of it and post it..

Packard never produced any cars in New Jersey. Studebaker had built a factory during the early 1950's in New Brunswick but, never used it and ended up selling it to , I beleive, Volkswagon..

[

Comment

I can't say if Volkswagon ever built anything in NJ, but they did produce the Rabbit in Pennsylvania.
        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I can't say if Volkswagon ever built anything in NJ, but they did produce the Rabbit in Pennsylvania.
          Rog

Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

VW ended up selling it a year or 2 later..As for their PA plant, lots of quality control problems..Then the union threatened to stike & VW warned if they did, they'd close up the plant & move it to another country.. The union struck & VW kept their word......

[

Comment

VW ended up selling it a year or 2 later..As for their PA plant, lots of quality control problems..Then the union threatened to stike & VW warned if they did, they'd close up the plant & move it to another country.. The union struck & VW kept their word......

[

Comment

Studebaker factory was actually built by the Fed Gov for WWII use but never used after the war so was disposed of. Volkswagton never had any facilities on a corporate basis in NJ. They built their first US production facility in New Santion PA and eventually closed it after about 20 years of use. If I'm not mistaken, I think Sony is using it now or at least was.

Actually the Kantors building also includes much of their massive parts inventory of new, remanufactured and reproduction parts. Also does have some but not all of their cars in this building. They do have parts for Studes, Packards and many other cars.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Studebaker factory was actually built by the Fed Gov for WWII use but never used after the war so was disposed of. Volkswagton never had any facilities on a corporate basis in NJ. They built their first US production facility in New Santion PA and eventually closed it after about 20 years of use. If I'm not mistaken, I think Sony is using it now or at least was.

Actually the Kantors building also includes much of their massive parts inventory of new, remanufactured and reproduction parts. Also does have some but not all of their cars in this building. They do have parts for Studes, Packards and many other cars.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Volkswagen also built the assembly plant in Sterling Heights, MI, and when they shut the plant in PA, they sold the MI plant to Chrysler. The current Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger are built in this plant.

EDIT: OK, I was partially right...
                    "Plant History: Facility was built in 1953 as a jet engine plant. Converted to an automobile plant in 1980 by Volkswagen. Purchased by Chrysler Corporation in 1983. Production of 2001 M.Y. Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Sebring Sedans began during the fall of 2000, followed by the Chrysler Sebring Convertible. All-new 2007 Chrysler Sebring Sedan launched in August 2006 followed by all-new 2008 Dodge Avenger and 2008 Chrysler Sebring Convertible."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Volkswagen also built the assembly plant in Sterling Heights, MI, and when they shut the plant in PA, they sold the MI plant to Chrysler. The current Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger are built in this plant.

EDIT: OK, I was partially right...
                      "Plant History: Facility was built in 1953 as a jet engine plant. Converted to an automobile plant in 1980 by Volkswagen. Purchased by Chrysler Corporation in 1983. Production of 2001 M.Y. Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Sebring Sedans began during the fall of 2000, followed by the Chrysler Sebring Convertible. All-new 2007 Chrysler Sebring Sedan launched in August 2006 followed by all-new 2008 Dodge Avenger and 2008 Chrysler Sebring Convertible."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Chris Pile
                        The Studebaker Special
                        Midway Chapter SDC
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Chris Pile
                          The Studebaker Special
                          Midway Chapter SDC

Comment

Kantor has 2 bldgs in Boonton..The one with the Packard on the roof houses his machine shop and dozens of autos and some parts..Theres another on the other side of town that houses most of the parts. Plus towards the back are old rusted out Packards and other misc cars..

[

Comment

Kantor has 2 bldgs in Boonton..The one with the Packard on the roof houses his machine shop and dozens of autos and some parts..Theres another on the other side of town that houses most of the parts. Plus towards the back are old rusted out Packards and other misc cars..

[

Comment

Working...
                              X