55 bell housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 55 bell housing

I plan to get a 63 cruiser with a bad motor . I have a 55 president with a good motor both a 259s will the bell housing on the 55 fit the 63 tranie trying to figer out the best way to do this swap. Doug M on the beautiful Alabama Gulf Coast about 65 and has been raining today

The '63 Cruiser only came with a 289, unless it's been changed in the interim. That said, the transmission in either would be a T86. If you swap a bell housing be certain to dial it in.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The 55 bell wont fit the 63 transmission. The 55 bolt pattern is almost square, and the 63 style is much taller top to bottom. Don't confuse this statement with Ford-vs-Chevy patterns.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Both have automatic tranie I forgot that

Comment

Originally posted by Doug M View Post
          Both have automatic tranie I forgot that
          No dice!.....The '55 President auto trans bellhousing will not work with a '63 auto trans. You'd need a '56-'64 Stude V8 auto trans bellhousing to mate the '55 engine to the '63 auto trans.

Comment

I was thinking I might not have to dial it in if bell housing wood work.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug M View Post
              I was thinking I might not have to dial it in if bell housing wood work.
              That's a smart thought, but unfortunately, they are not compatible.

Comment

Working...
              X