Shameless plug - 1964 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shameless plug - 1964 GT Hawk

A hundred calls, but nobody in my area even seems to know anything about Studebakers.

Last edited by edpjr; 12-04-2014, 07:37 PM.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

I must be asking waaaaay too much for this car. What's realistic? Thanks!
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Comment

The mention of a Michigan title may be one thing that is scaring folks off.

Comment

AHA! NC is a screwball state regarding title work. Is Michigan a problem too? NCDOT sent an inspector out to check out the vehicle to ensure there are no liens or that it was stolen (they did the same thing for my Avanti). The Hawk came up clean. But since the car is not road worthy, the only thing the state will provide is an "inoperative" title. Therefore, when I bought it I just got a bill of sale from the previous owner (notarized by the tag office). I think some states only require a bill of sale on older cars.

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        The mention of a Michigan title may be one thing that is scaring folks off.
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

There is a "car colony" in Lenoir. It is a development with a community center dedicated to cars. There are lifts and garages that the residents can use. You might find a Studebaker enthusiast or two there. My girlfriend and I looked into buying a lot in that development, but opted for a house overlooking the Pacific in Half Moon Bay, CA.

Comment

That car in California I would have a new clear title in 3 weeks no problem.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Well...I had seen your ad. My motorcycle buddies and I made several trips through Lenoir this past summer and fall. Each time, I rode that way, while they were chattering over our radio headsets, I was thinking I might spot your Hawk. (They're not too much car guys) There have been a bunch of Studebaker offerings languishing on craigslist for months. When an ad disappears, I'll think it got sold...only to see it pop up again...same pics...same owner.

Even though gas prices are down, and there's some timid signs of economic progress, I believe folks are still cautious about slapping down hard-earned cash for an uncertain investment. Couple that with the thought of encountering a real life Barney Fife at the DMV and finding yourself in the "Title issue Twilight Zone," ... the '62 GT being offered in Morganton might be a more attractive alternative. (Although, it has been on craigslist forever too.)

You know, the huge N.C. Furniture industry seemed to shutdown almost overnight and fled overseas. That, and all the struggling supporting suppliers/businesses, have left the region reeling. Other out-migrations occurred here in S.C. I still sense a sour mood. Lots of us are busy trying to hang onto what we already have.

Just a mile from me, is a nice motor home that has been advertised, at a fair price, for almost two years. Seems, if it isn't an absolute rock bottom bargain...it ain't moving. Shucks...maybe I'll wake up one morning with a much more positive attitude...and take a look at your Hawk. 'course I'll have to make sure my wife don't catch me looking. Her agenda probably don't include another Studebaker needing restoring.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The Michigan title might be scaring people off not because of the title itself, but because it indicates the car is from Michigan. That, and the rust that is visible, suggests the car might have had, or maybe still does have, serious, Michigan-salt-induced rust issues from having lived in such a hostile climate.

Had the car been in NC all its life, it wouldn't be so suspect. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm with Bob on this.
                  Michigan rust plus the title= tread cautiously
                  Orlando FLA

Comment

Originally posted by s1b View Post
                    I'm with Bob on this.
                    Michigan rust plus the title= tread cautiously
                    Years ago, there was a Snap On tool dealer who moved here from Michigan. He had a GT, that he had brought with him, and tried to sell it.(waaay overpriced.) When the drivers door opened, the "A" pillar tried to pivot with it. He was a big guy, and when he sat in the driver's seat, explaining all the car's potential...you could see the entire car swag a bit. He had to lift the door to close it.

I actually enjoyed talking with him, but he was one of those transplants that carried a bit of a superior attitude. It was, as if, he had arrived and was going to save us dumb drawl speaking hicks from ourselves. He hadn't learned that some folks talk a little slow, but think pretty fast. Sadly, the last time I saw that Hawk, it was shoved in the back parking lot of an old defunct service station, between other derelict vehicles being overgrown by kudzu...years after that particular Snap On dealer had moved on.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Can you PM me with suggestions for titling my '57 Clipper wagon which was lien sale purchased from California? I went to California DMV in Needles CA and they said that they would not title it until it is completely assembled and running for inspection which for me is at least one to two years away while under restoration. We reside in the winter on the central western part of Arizona (across the Colorado from Needles CA) which is the car's location and where I'm performing the restoration. It is a slow process but if I have to wait, so be it.
                      Thanks,
                      Bill

Comment

Bill, send me the vin number of the driver door post and I will talk to the lady that takes car of these for me, cost can run as high as $250.00 all based from how much work is required....Bob
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Yes, the car has a MI title. However, the original paperwork in the dash indicate it was purchased at Plaza Motors in Bell(wood?) California in Feb 1964. There are service records from the 60's too. So I'm not sure when it left CA for MI, or how it got to NC.
                          edp/NC
                          \'63 Avanti
                          \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                          X