Last R2 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last R2 Hawk

Attached are a couple of pics. I ordered all original brake parts and suspension bushings. Going to keep it original.
    Attached Files

Looks real restorable for sure .....nice find!
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Bill, that looks really solid. Good job in keeping it original.

Comment

Looks like a heck of a car, and really complete! You're a lucky guy.
        Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
        \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

The only problem is a Bent left fender. The original owner bought new trim for left and right.

Comment

That does look like a Great example of a rare and very limited Production '64 R2 GT Hawk Bill.
            The condition looks very restorable with a little paint and TLC, though we can't see it, I would guess it would be due for a New Interior by now though.

I too am glad to hear that you took heed to what I said about the Factory Original Power Disc Brakes being a good thing to add value and keep it original.
            As you may know Studebakers were the first and ONLY New Cars in '63-'64 with Disc Brakes available.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Looks to be a twin of mine.
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Glad to hear you are keeping a significant car like this original.

Don't forget to send an update of your ownership of it to Barry for his records: http://www.studebakergthawkregistry.ca/jet_thrust

Craig

Comment

'Great, Bill; this is good news and the car looks wonderful, all things considered.

Keep us apprised of the progress. Cool Beans! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I love it. Each new upgrade will feel like driving a new car. Drive and enjoy.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

EBC is now making brake pads for Avantis. (actually Jaguar) The Green Stuff (their name not mine) pads are exceptional for a good upgrade.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

goodmorning Bob Palma is correct (no suprise) just to add to the discussion when Stude announced the SB closing Dec.9,63, they sent a memo to all Stude executives letting them know if they wanted a exec discount car, to get the order in immediately...on Dec 12 a vp with Onan corp ordered a Hawk I'll leave his name private for now...the car was completed and shipped on Dec 19th serial number 20040 Jet Green white sport roof...on checking the build sheets ( factory order sheet) I find that this is the last fact exec Hawk ....I found the car some years ago and restored it ..I kept the original interior, but the chasis, body, etc needed lots of work to make it driveable...it still has the parking pass on the inside rear view mirror...am very happy about your find...I have found over the years that keeping the original interior was a good move...for what it is worth I would recommend keeping as much of the original car as possible...my car had spent its life in Minnesota...lots of replacement parts necessary to drive it am glad that yours has had a more favorable climate...congrats on your project...

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          That does look like a Great example of a rare and very limited Production '64 R2 GT Hawk Bill.
                          The condition looks very restorable with a little paint and TLC, though we can't see it, I would guess it would be due for a New Interior by now though.

I too am glad to hear that you took heed to what I said about the Factory Original Power Disc Brakes being a good thing to add value and keep it original.
                          As you may know Studebakers were the first and ONLY New Cars in '63-'64 with Disc Brakes available.
                          Nice '64!! Not too many around, although I believe a higher percentage of the few that were made are still around when compared to the "Big Three". I have the OEM style discs on my '63 R2 and they work great. I have never seen any reason to change anything, they stop with authority no pulling or locking up, even at 80+ mph. I try to keep the system bled regularly so it always has fresh non-moist fluid and I scuff the rotors whenever I have the front wheels off. BTW, Crosley was actually the first American car to sport disc brakes, back in the '40s.

Comment

I have built many cars in my years including a 60 Lark VIII 2dr, a 59 Lark VI conv. and a 59 Silver Hawk. I'm always looking for advice or a better way. The interior vinyl looks OK but the rest in very rough. I also plan on pulling the engine and refreshing it. Thanks for all the support.

Comment

Working...
                            X