64 Hawk restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Hawk restore

This is a bigger project than I wanted but couldn't pass it up. 64 GT R2 4sp. Bought from the original owner. It sat in a storage shed for 35 years. I put tires on it, got it to roll and brought it home. Yesterday I took the brakes apart, the hydraulics are all seized and probably not rebuildable. Is it best to buy the upgrade kit to GM front disc or keep it stock and find good parts? My discs Mic it .355, my specs show discard at .330. Also the gas tank is a mess. Are new tanks available or good used ones. Anyone had success at cleaning one? This is going to be a long project. Thanks for any advice.

Many use the Turner brake conversion kit. It is bolt on. http://www.turnerbrake.com/

A radiator shop should be able to work on your tank.

Comment

"Is it best", depends on your needs and planned use of the Car.
      If you are looking for a absolutely correct, Original 400 Point rare Jet Thrust or Super Hawk mods will devalue it.

Will it stop better, absolutely!
      The cost of a Turner Disc. Brake Kit will not be much different than buying all 4 Front Caliper Wheel Cylinders, Rotors, lines, hoses, seals, Bearings etc. to make it stock.

Post the Serial Number from the driver's door post here to find out if this is a "Super Hawk" package Car adding more desirability and value.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What Rich said. A 64 R2 4 spd is one helluva car. Decide whether to build a driver, a show car or a rocket. I put Turner discs on my 55 Commander and had my tank repaired and baked by Gas Tank Renu. Still qualifies for the Pure Stock Drags. Allen Anderson runs his R2 Hawk at the races. If it was a Texas car you won't have the rust I had to deal with.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Vin is 64V20084. I have ordered a build sheet. This car lived it's running life in Nevada. Only surface rust. Environmental laws and cheap aluminum radiators have killed the radiator repair business in Houston.

Comment

Congrats on finding the best of the GT Hawks. On that car, I'd rebuild to original. You'll be money ahead if you ever sell.

Guarantee in a metro area the size of Houston, there will be still one or two radiator/tank shops around. Ask the tractor shops where they send their radiators and tanks.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Sounds like a great project car. How about some pictures?
              Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
              1964 Daytona Hardtop
              1962 Champ Truck
              1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

not too far away, a "Gas Tank Renu": https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ga...9d6ff68c2225a0
                Last edited by Corvanti; 11-16-2014, 04:29 PM.
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I would go turner and save the stude brakes for if you change your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by wminter View Post
                    Vin is 64V20084. I have ordered a build sheet. This car lived it's running life in Nevada. Only surface rust.
                    Bill, I want to emphasize that you have a rare, historically-significant Studebaker Hawk, there. I hope you'll do a nice job preserving it and restoring it.

Here's why: That Serial Number struck me as so close to the end that I just checked to confirm a suspicion and I was right:

Your car, Serial Number 64V20084, is the very last R2 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk built. That's right; THE LAST ONE of thousands of famous, supercharged Studebaker Hawks built during model years 1957, 1958, 1963, and 1964.

Not only that, but it is a full-package Super Hawk...and a 4-speed for icing on the cake!

Please treat it as the historically-significant Studebaker performance artifact it is. How fortunate for not only you, but for the whole Studebaker hobby that it survives and is in the hands of a devoted enthusiast. (BTW: It was originally shipped to Bryan, Texas, so if you say it spent most of its life in Nevada, it should be a good, dry specimen.)

Congratulations and all the best; those are really cool beans! Bob Palma, Technical Editor, Turning Wheels.
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

re: what BP discovered - WOW!!!

please keep her as original as possible! you have a future museum piece in your hands.
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Congratulations, on your find. Keep us posted.

Comment

Wow a great find and definitely one to preserve.

Comment

It was bought in Bryan, Tx. The original owner graduated from Texas A&M In Dec. 63 and bought this car Jan. 8th of 64. He got a job in aerospace engineering in Nevada.

Comment

Interesting, that may mean it was up around this neck of the woods, depending on which aerospace company it drove to.

Comment

Working...
                              X