Interesting day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting day

I left the house early yesterday and drove roughly 120 miles south to Taft, California. Man, there's NOTHIN' to Taft but bare dirt and scrub brush..... oh, and OIL WELLS! The town of Taft thrives on the subterranean pools of black goo. There's not much else to attract folks here unless maybe you appreciate the study of these:

or you like ATV and dirt bike follies. Oh.. and model airplane flying too. No one here to holler about the noise or the incursion of someone chasing their vagrant sky craft across private properties. Here's a photo of the flying site I was at for most of the day.

I went there because one of the chapters of SAM (Society of Antique Models) was having a two-day contest there and I happen to be a fan of the pre-WWII model designs that they still build and fly. Many model designs of that era were very "artistic" and many were very straightforward and simplistic. It's tough to characterize the essence of this little corner of model aviation so I won't try here. But here's a couple of examples. The 9ft wingspan orange plane is a Dallaire Sportster - the likes of which I'm trying to build.

This one here, called the Flamingo, is another example of the "art deco" sorta influence that permeated model building of the 30s. This one flies nice, has a genuine 30s vintage, ignition engine and is a true sight to behold as it soars slowly and majestically overhead.

OK, so there's GOTTA be some Studebaker content here. So look close at what I spotted, half-hidden, as I got close to Taft! You can't tell from this angle, but there were TWO of them trying to hide there. The place was locked up or I'd have stopped to investigate.

Even at the meet, there was another unexpected and intriguing tidbit of Studebaker history in the form of this fella you see flying his entry here:

His name is Don (I'll look at my notes later to give his last name) and he overheard my conversation with another fella about my love for Studebakers. He offered up that amongst the various auto/aviation manufacturers he'd worked for was McCullogh in Burbank along about 1950.
    He was well aware of Studebaker's use of the blowers on the 57-58 Stude products, but what was really intriguing was his job of test driver for McCullough's foray into transmissions at the time. Don wasn't aware of whether or not what he test drove was simply something that McCullough had dreamed up or if it had official backing from Studebaker, but it sure sounds interesting!
    What it was was a variable speed transmission in a Champion car. He said basically it consisted of adjustable pulleys (like are used in so many lawn tractors) - two large aluminum pulleys with hard chrome facing. Dan said they retained the 3-spd tranny as a means of effecting reverse, but otherwise it was left in 3rd gear. It also used a clutch, but once underway, power/rpms were controlled by a twist handle (like motorcycle controls) on the end of the shift lever. Pretty neat!
    Don said, as a test driver, he simply drove it and followed instructions so that data and performance could be observed and calculated. He had no idea what the final conclusions were or why they eventually abandoned the concept. But in his estimation, it was a viable concept.

Another fella there, got to tellin' me about a '59 Lark VI he owned about 1962 or so. He allowed as how when a darned Volkswagen passed him going up a hill outta Los Angeles, it was time to buy something else.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle
    [img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Mr Biggs,

I think you've mentioned flying at Taft in the recent past. I am about 10 years out of free flight flying. I used to be very active in the Flying Aces Club. I miss it, but whereas I was trying to get to about two "local" contests a month, all of the miles started to cost too much as gas got expensive - local was at least 150 miles away.

Here is a pic of the likely epitome of my design and building - a Jumbo Scale FW-189 with my younger son (who is now 12 - maybe he is the epitome).

And in keeping with the Old Time topic of SAMs, here is my old Jimmie Allen Special. It is still in flying condition, too, whereas the FW had a rough time on launch one day.

By the way, these are rubber powered, for those that are curious.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Mr Biggs,

I think you've mentioned flying at Taft in the recent past. I am about 10 years out of free flight flying. I used to be very active in the Flying Aces Club. I miss it, but whereas I was trying to get to about two "local" contests a month, all of the miles started to cost too much as gas got expensive - local was at least 150 miles away.

Here is a pic of the likely epitome of my design and building - a Jumbo Scale FW-189 with my younger son (who is now 12 - maybe he is the epitome).

And in keeping with the Old Time topic of SAMs, here is my old Jimmie Allen Special. It is still in flying condition, too, whereas the FW had a rough time on launch one day.

By the way, these are rubber powered, for those that are curious.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Thanks George! Twin-engine rubber ships - that's a realm I've never made it to! I'm an FAC member as well.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks George! Twin-engine rubber ships - that's a realm I've never made it to! I'm an FAC member as well.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Bob,
            Looks like you've found another hobby that is mostly old farts like us...

[)]

(maybe you need to take up skydiving or surfing )

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Bob,

[)]

(maybe you need to take up skydiving or surfing )

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Fascinating...
                My late father was a free flight and control line champion in the thirties in Detroit and Kansas City.
                He used to race 'Hornet's' control line with dollies to launch them.
                They had a reputation when they showed up...
                (kind of like the belly button motor of the air race crowd in the thirties[}])..
                The others would groan when they showed up.
                My dad used to tell me if you had the 'free flight' champion of the meet you lost your plane.
                They used to chase their planes for miles and miles.
                (rubber band 'timers' for the rudder to get the plane to run a a long oval)
                I still have his tool box for some of the stuff he used to fly.
                I have a Hornet engine (spark plug) and an 'Orr' engine, which my father helped design.
                He traded his interest in that 'Orr' engine for an Atlas 6" swing flatbed lathe (which I still have today)...
                You guys keep knotting us together with threads...
                Amazing...
                Jeff[8D]

Deep-N-Hock Acres
                Brooklet, Georgia
                DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                '37 Coupe Express
                '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                '61 Hawk (project: Ist Gen Owner - project)
                Mysterious Project Z
                http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Fascinating...
                  My late father was a free flight and control line champion in the thirties in Detroit and Kansas City.
                  He used to race 'Hornet's' control line with dollies to launch them.
                  They had a reputation when they showed up...
                  (kind of like the belly button motor of the air race crowd in the thirties[}])..
                  The others would groan when they showed up.
                  My dad used to tell me if you had the 'free flight' champion of the meet you lost your plane.
                  They used to chase their planes for miles and miles.
                  (rubber band 'timers' for the rudder to get the plane to run a a long oval)
                  I still have his tool box for some of the stuff he used to fly.
                  I have a Hornet engine (spark plug) and an 'Orr' engine, which my father helped design.
                  He traded his interest in that 'Orr' engine for an Atlas 6" swing flatbed lathe (which I still have today)...
                  You guys keep knotting us together with threads...
                  Amazing...
                  Jeff[8D]

Deep-N-Hock Acres
                  Brooklet, Georgia
                  DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                  '37 Coupe Express
                  '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                  '61 Hawk (project: Ist Gen Owner - project)
                  Mysterious Project Z
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Bob,
                    But I think at least Bigsy had his teeth in. [}]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Bob,
                      But I think at least Bigsy had his teeth in. [}]

Comment

I'm at the age where true memory tends to bleed over into imagination, but I do believe I read somewhere that Stude did study the DAF Variomatic Drive at length.

Dwain G.
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I'm at the age where true memory tends to bleed over into imagination, but I do believe I read somewhere that Stude did study the DAF Variomatic Drive at length.

Dwain G.
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

It's definitely an old farts club. But - it DOES draw in some younger blood and as proof, there were two guys there Saturday that signed up to join this chapter - both were considerably younger than myself.
                            Lotta nice folks from varied backgrounds and all real craftsmen given that these kinda models don't just emerge from the box - ready to fly like so much of today's stuff does. Ya gotta know how to build, cover, deal with the engines, read the winds, and make all that work in concert to get a good flight in.
                            In truth, any of these prewar designs were true free flight. While radio control was in it's infancy in the late 30s, anyone that did it had to construct their "gear" from scratch. There were no ready-to-buy control systems of any sort before the late 40s.
                            Thing is, with age (which makes one less inclined to go off on a cross-country chase!) and the ever-shrinking, fast disappearing availability of viable flying sites, adding radio to these old free flight designs makes them practical again.
                            There's STILL a Die-hard number who consider it blasphemy to use radio (like the purist vs modified foray within SDC) in a free flight, but they sorta hafta admit that with the drying up of suitable flying areas in this day and age, they're down to practicing their craft with smaller planes and very short engine run times.[V]
                            The AMA is to the modelling world, what SDC is to Studebakers. AMA provides insurance for model meets and they've gotten very stringent about how and where you can fly. In this letigious society of ours, some ol' gal will make quite a dent in your wallet if you trample a few of her petunias while in hot pursuit of your thermal-driven free flight model.[:0][:X]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

It's definitely an old farts club. But - it DOES draw in some younger blood and as proof, there were two guys there Saturday that signed up to join this chapter - both were considerably younger than myself.
                              Lotta nice folks from varied backgrounds and all real craftsmen given that these kinda models don't just emerge from the box - ready to fly like so much of today's stuff does. Ya gotta know how to build, cover, deal with the engines, read the winds, and make all that work in concert to get a good flight in.
                              In truth, any of these prewar designs were true free flight. While radio control was in it's infancy in the late 30s, anyone that did it had to construct their "gear" from scratch. There were no ready-to-buy control systems of any sort before the late 40s.
                              Thing is, with age (which makes one less inclined to go off on a cross-country chase!) and the ever-shrinking, fast disappearing availability of viable flying sites, adding radio to these old free flight designs makes them practical again.
                              There's STILL a Die-hard number who consider it blasphemy to use radio (like the purist vs modified foray within SDC) in a free flight, but they sorta hafta admit that with the drying up of suitable flying areas in this day and age, they're down to practicing their craft with smaller planes and very short engine run times.[V]
                              The AMA is to the modelling world, what SDC is to Studebakers. AMA provides insurance for model meets and they've gotten very stringent about how and where you can fly. In this letigious society of ours, some ol' gal will make quite a dent in your wallet if you trample a few of her petunias while in hot pursuit of your thermal-driven free flight model.[:0][:X]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X