Leak Gas Tank Hawk GT 1962

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak Gas Tank Hawk GT 1962

I have noted a leak by the fuel tank sender sensor. Do I need to take out the tank to replace that or is it accessible from above? Is that a standard 5 hole seal that I can get at any marine shop or should I order it from Studebaker parts?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9772.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1745116

There is an access cover in the trunk floor. I would try NAPA for the gasket. I see they have a sending unit listed as part# 701-1642. Just see if they have the gasket for that part and Welcome to the forum!!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

To remove the sender unit and locate was easy, thank you for pointing out the access hole Warren. I was not able to find any gasket locally. So I made my own out of Karropak fiber sheet and gasket on tube. The original cork gasket was more or less dissolved and fell apart when the sender unit was removed. I will update and say if it worked.

Name:	DSC_9776.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1692875

Name:	DSC_9779.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1692876Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9780.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1692877
      Attached Files

Comment

In addition to the gaskets , there are copper washers under the 5 screws.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Robert Kapteyn
        Last edited by rkapteyn; 11-15-2014, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Mine leaked there as well, only mine was a new sending unit and gasket. My problem was the fuel cap was not vented and pressure would build in the tank and push fuel out there when it was at the full mark. If the gasket doesn't help the problem check the vent on the fuel cap.

Comment

As long as you slathered the gasket on both sides with something like Permatex II, it should hold till the cows come home.

Comment

Working...
            X