Original York air compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original York air compressor

Does anyone out there know how one can check if the oil in one of these old York compressors is at the correct level?
    There is no sight tube on the unit so just how do you tell?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

York compressors come in a variety of sizes to run air-conditioning and refrigeration systems used by a large number of manufacturers in automotive, residential and commercial fields. York has designed the compressors so that maintenance on each one is very similar to other York models, including the compressors' ...

Comment

Thanks , Jim .... But I didn't see anywhere about what the level should be ?....... Any ideas ?
      sigpic

Comment

You have to scroll down to the Tips section at the bottom of the article. Volume and level depends on whether it's a vertical or horizontal mounting for the compressor. That could supply a lot of air to a 200 gallon aquarium full of Lake Erie perch.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Please remember the case is pressurized. The system will need to be discharged.

Comment

Originally posted by wminter View Post
            Please remember the case is pressurized. The system will need to be discharged.
            My system is not pressurized , its been sitting for some 20 years so it has gradually lost its charged.
            I was just concerned that there be suffocate oil in it and I have since received an email with the info I needed.
            Here is a copy for anyone else out there with a AC system that they want to get going again.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
              My system is not pressurized , its been sitting for some 20 years so it has gradually lost its charged.
              I was just concerned that there be suffocate oil in it and I have since received an email with the info I needed.
              Here is a copy for anyone else out there with a AC system that they want to get going again.
              http://www.rtitech.com/downloads/New...Compressor.pdf
              Thanks for the link!

Comment

My late father always told me that if the system was open (lines off the compressor or ports open where the lines would go on), the compressor was most likely "junk". When a compressor is "open" to the atmosphere, moisture gets in and can ruin it. Sorryif this is bad news, but the Sanyo/Sanden is a much better choice.

Comment

Next to impossible to remove a unit from one car to the next without opening the system.
                  sigpic

Comment

One thing to remember on these old Yorks, there was a "Left" and a "Right" discharge model, with no outward difference visible between the two. When I bought my Avanti with factory air 16 years ago, I took it to a reputable A/C shop to have the system evacuated and recharged after installing the "NOS" compressor that came with my purchase. They called me shortly after, saying they couldn't get the system to take a charge. A trip to another reputable shop identified the problem, the hoses needed to be reversed on the "new" compressor, and following that the thing froze me out of the cabin for the following two months or so. Unfortunately, we later found out the compressor wasn't the only leak. Still, important to verify which model York you have found if installing a old stock compressor. These things have been out of the mainstream so long, it's a good bet that any HVAC tech currently on the job will be foreign to them.

Comment

Working...
                    X