Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Among my souvenirs #9 (1958 Color and Upholstery Selector)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Among my souvenirs #9 (1958 Color and Upholstery Selector)

Click image for larger version

Name:	32.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1745079Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1745080Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1745081Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1745082Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1745083
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Its a rather elaborate Selector considering the sparsity of other 1958 literature. A padded cover with gold print is about the most expensive binding you will ever find.

Chris.

Comment

Was the padded binder itself unique to 1958? Or was it used for 1957 as well? I know some of the binders themselves were meant to be reused, where a dealer would remove the previous year's inserts and install the current ones.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

I have one like this (1958) in the padded binder and another (1958) in the 56 style of binder. I think the dealers could order just the contents of the dealer books and use their binders from a previous year. Does anyone know if this was true?? I have also seen just the contents without the binder on ebay so this makes me think my thought may be correct.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

It was definitely true for the trucks in the 1950's. That same black binder was used for several years. I believe the light blue binder for the Larks starting in 1959 was used up until 1962. After that, the gold binder came out for 1963.

Craig

Comment

That is why the 1957 pages are so hard to find.
            Dealer were instructed to replace the 1957 pages in this binder with the 1958 ones and usually just thew the 1957 pages out.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I acquired one of these this past summer for the 1956 model year which I passed on to a friend who has a '56 President.
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]39161[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39162[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39163[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39164[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]39165[/ATTACH]
                You can't help but wonder about the total production and distribution costs for that glamorous binder per car, given how few cars were sold in 1958. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

WOW! that is so nice to see preserved and protected!

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    You can't help but wonder about the total production and distribution costs for that glamorous binder per car, given how few cars were sold in 1958. BP
                    The author of this thread probably has half the production in his attic!
                    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                    1961 Hawk 4-speed
                    1967 Avanti
                    1961 Lark 2 door
                    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Imagine the thrill of actually sitting at your local S-P dealer, thumbing through the choices, as you were writing up the order for your new President Starlight!

Comment

Hi

What a wonderful artifact of that era. Given that we now know how financially strapped they were that year, it's amazing they still offered a wide variety of color combinations and interior options. Certainly it would have been less costly in terms of production to limit the choices to those that were most popular in the prior two years. Perhaps the wide choice was perceived as one way to maintain the overall appeal of their new cars, especially since those choices were also available from all other competitors.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X