1959 Hawk blower moter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Hawk blower moter

Hey everyone, I am in need of a new NOS climatetizer heater blower motor . The part number is1548269. It is getting cold out there and I sure would like to your the floor heater, The defroster just don't cut it. This is the blower motor that goes behind the right front wheel up in the front fender. Thanks Allan

I bought mine from Studebaker International 1.5 years ago they told me then that I got one of the last two they had. Price was very steep I thought, but they explained to me then that the more rare the parts are sometimes they will charge more. I wanted a NOS one so I paid for it. I think it is much better quality than the universal fit ones at the parts house. You might call them and give them the part number and see what they tell you. It may be they found more of them and it could be your lucky day.

Comment

Somebody posted a # for a cross over that would fit,available from your local auto part store,but my desk is so dis-organized I can't find it now! I need one too,should have bought it way back when I had that # written down. Hopefully the information will be re-posted here!
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

As someone else reminded us of in the last week or so, don't forget that these are supposed to be sealed Motors because of the location.
        Obviously most other makes go in the car or in a dryer location under the hood and will be OPEN to the elements.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Last one my dear departed old parts man got for me was WAY too expensive.
          Since then I believe that I have seen some in Grainger's catalog that looked promising.
          You'd want to measure the shaft dimensions, and the size of the outside case.

Just read Rich's, and must mention that the one I replaced was (inside) on my '64 Cruiser.

Comment

Hey RDWEAVER , Ya I called si and they did not have any more left .

Comment

Found one (MAYBE)

I might have found one NAPA . A few guys have bought this part no.6551020 from NAPA. I am going to check it out.

Comment

After you get it, one of us can buy it for our Larks.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Your best bet now would be to get the '62 Hawk Climatizer motor, #1554985. It would be a sealed motor since '62 was the last year that Hawks used the under fender motor. It is a two-speed motor, while I believe the speeds were controlled by a resistor on the switch on '59 Hawks. So you would just need to wire to the high speed lead on the '62 motor.

Comment

I do not recall ever paying the big bucks for a Hawk heater motor, and have replaced several in GT Hawks and 56Js. Once replaced, they are good for a couple of decades. I have bought them from NAPA and other FLAPS. True, many of them are not sealed, but they are easy enough to seal with RTV. About the only difference between early and late type is the early ones are 1-wire, and the later ones are 2/3-wire; that is due to different style switches. One could probably interchange the two types, but would have to wire it so as to only have one speed (high). I did that once, when I put a 1-wire into a GT. Not a big deal to me, since hi speed is what I use 99 percent of the time, or shut it off completely in mild weather.
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 11-12-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by A Gledhill View Post
                      I might have found one NAPA . A few guys have bought this part no.6551020 from NAPA. I am going to check it out.
                      So.....was this blower motor sealed or ventilated?

Comment

This one looks to have potential. Critical measurements to compare with the Stude OEM would include: case bolts center-to-center; body length, and diameter. If this one is a no-go, there are plenty of others to consider. As mentioned above, I have always been able to make something similar work. Can't see in the pix, but if the case hole around the wires is not sealed, it's easy enough to do with RTV.

Comment

I remember getting mine in the mail. I wanted to check the thing out so I went over to the battery and connected it. It ran good, I wondered about lubrication because it was NOS. Then I thought I would reverse rotation so I reversed the leads. It's a D.C. motor soooo it should have run backwards right? I was surprised but it ran the same direction. Can somebody explain this to me?

Comment

Working...
                          X