R-3 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-3 Avanti

I zipped down to the Goodguys meet in Pleasanton Ca. this weekend and was in heaven, there were so many nice cars there. One Avanti caught my eye and upon further inspection, it appears to be an original R-3, Don't know how many of these were made but, this is my first time actually seeing one in person--- gotta be pretty rare?
    Attached Files
    sigpic

I believe there were 9 originally. At least, that's what I was told years ago.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The experts will be here soon, but at first glance looks like a custom R2 with an R3 airbox.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

R-3 air box does not make it a R-3 original, should have looked at the engine number, number should have looked something like this

This one is for sale and comes with a very nice 52 Starlite coupe.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

R-3 Avanti

I posted these pictures in the general discussion, after a little research, it appears that there were only 9 of these produced, I have been around Studebaker's quite a few years and have never seen one ---so I posted it here also for everyone to drool over! (I certainly did)
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

I always thought the easest way to spot an original R3, IIRC from what Jon Myer told me is that the air filter was mounted in front and at the bottom of the radiator and piped up to the supercharger by cutting a hole thur the inner fender well near the intake of the "SC". See photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker-avanti-r3-03.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1692786

Comment

you guys got me here, I'm certainly not an authority on R-3'S, I was just going on the info from the owner. He stated he bought it from the "original little old lady." It was surely nice in any event!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M15 Trucker View Post
                I always thought the easest way to spot an original R3, IIRC from what Jon Myer told me is that the air filter was mounted in front and at the bottom of the radiator and piped up to the supercharger by cutting a hole thur the inner fender well near the intake of the "SC". See photo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39128[/ATTACH]
                On another note, another thread here recently discussed sealed v. open crankcase ventilation types, with R series motors given credit for first sealed type, even ahead of the EPA. I count four breather caps in the pic you attached here. Are they all sealed, with one or more of them plumbed to the air cleaner? Or are some/all of them open? If sealed, why bother to put an extra cap on the passenger side valve cover? (There may be a fifth cap on the driver side valve cover, but obscure in the pic.)
                Thanks

Comment

I am sure there are "clones" for everything imaginable, I posted the thread not knowing that It could in fact be a non "original," of course that's why the forum is a good place to find out "which side your bread is buttered on," thanks to all the eagle eyed members keeping it straight
                  sigpic

Comment

That appears to be an R2 with an R3 air box as already stated. It doesn't have the correct R3 air intake or the five breathers. That's not unusual...there's probably more R3 clones and R2's dressed to look like an R3 out there than ever left South Bend equipped properly.

Regardless...it's a sharp looking car.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

If the car is a true factory R3, it is either S/N 5089 or 5532. With the other modifications that this car has, I question whether it is a true R3 (an R3 air box does not make an R3). What is the S/N of the pictured car (i would like to be proved wrong)?
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If the car is a true factory R3, it is either S/N 5089 or 5532. With the other modifications that this car has, I question whether it is a true R3 (an R3 air box does not make an R3). What is the S/N of the pictured car (i would like to be proved wrong)?
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          That appears to be an R2 with an R3 air box as already stated. It doesn't have the correct R3 air intake or the five breathers. That's not unusual...there's probably more R3 clones and R2's dressed to look like an R3 out there than ever left South Bend equipped properly.

Regardless...it's a sharp looking car.
                          I was walking down the row in a show and heard, "Look, an R3 Avanti!" Naturally, I stepped faster and looked harder. It was an R1 with the carb in an R3 box and the hose running to the right front; no supercharger at all.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

I really didn't get into vin#'s with the owner, just thought it was neat, clone or not?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StudebakerGene View Post
                              I really didn't get into vin#'s with the owner, just thought it was neat, clone or not?
                              It sure is!....Beautiful Avanti...Tough to beat 'Avanti Turquoise' on these cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X