Photo of hidden VIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo of hidden VIN

Does anyone have a photo of the hidden VIN on a 1964 Hawk GT? I can't seem to find it and I might even be looking at the wrong crossmember. Is it the crossmember right in front of the bumper or the one over the axle? Thanks.

I don't have a photo. Might can get one on my 53. I think they are all on the rear cross member. (right in front of the bumper) Mine is about a third of the way over from the drivers side on the flange. You can see it from the bottom.

Comment

You will probably need to remove the rear valance that is bolted to that cross member. (The painted piece that helps obscure the gas tank and is slotted for the tail pipes.) Once it is removed, you will find the number on one of the lower lips of the cross member. You may also need to use a piece of sandpaper to lightly scuff the surface for the number to show through.

Comment

Tom, there is no guarantee you'll be able to find it. Most of our frames, even the good ones, have too much surface rust and the secret serial numbers have been obliterated because they were stamped so lightly to begin with.

Some are visible, however, if only slightly. Here is the SSN from my 1964 Daytona Wagonaire, Serial Number 64V15196:

The rearmost frame crossmember, the one between the gas tank and the lower valence on a Hawk, is where they are located. There are two flanges on the bottom of that crossmember; one on the gas tank side and one on the valence side.

Your best chance of finding it is to thoroughly clean the flange closest to the gas tank, paying attention to the drivers (left) side of that flange. Good luck. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I think that Craig has a pic somewhere of the one on my lark- hopefully he will chime in.
          Evan Davis
          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post
            I think that Craig has a pic somewhere of the one on my lark- hopefully he will chime in.
            Evan, I don't have a photo of yours, but I did post one from a '53 Champion sedan here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=secret

Craig

Comment

Since you are in California and you may be referring to a CA car, you probably have a better chance of finding that S/N than I would on a local car here in NY. I do not ever remember finding one on cars from around here, even in the 1970s.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Look on both flanges. All the way across.
                Shine a flashlight at different angles.
                Lightly sand the surface and look again.
                Some of them are really lightly stamped.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                X