63 avanti starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 avanti starter

what brand starter came on 63 avanti, my drive gear needs replacing, and napa shows a rebuild kit for about $25.00. would this fit my starter? tks chas/

It's a Prestolite starter. What model I don't know but the parts manual should specify that.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

MDU something. physically the same as any Stude V8 Prestolite starter - and that includes the "Bendix" (drive gear) unit. The Avanti version had more windings internally to deal with the higher compression of the R1.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That $25.00 price must be for bushings and brushes. The bendix drive you need would be considerably more.

Comment

tks for ur rply. i don't know. the pic show the drive unit. small price.if it fits prestolite go to napa web site item #ech srk104

Comment

I have The Bendix drive listed as Bendix P?N 479006 and Prestolite P/N EBB-75 and Studebaker P/N 15500373

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by charlotte1963 View Post
              tks for ur rply. i don't know. the pic show the drive unit. small price.if it fits prestolite go to napa web site item #ech srk104
              Sorry won't work for the Avanti, need a Prestolite not Delco. SI has them new but should be able to find a rebuilt out there. The drive units are interchangeable with some 6 cylinders and I'm sure match some Ford out there. Pull it apart and compare with some other brands if price is a consideration. The drive assembly isn't bad to put on but needs to be right for the motor shaft, nose housing area, tooth count and diameter, or you'll ruin the ring gear--an even bigger PITA.

Comment

Working...
              X