No announcement yet.

Factory air in a 56 Power Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Factory air in a 56 Power Hawk?

I am guessing this guy is simply mistaken when he says this car came with factory air?

Here some additional pics he sent me.
    Attached Files

On a side note, I am guessing this car was not originally red. You can see what appears to be the original color on that tag.

Is that Daybreak Blue?

Comment

Don't know about factory, but that looks like a Novi, or some other brand of rear air conditioning. Can he send you a picture of the unit in the trunk, and maybe someone here can identify it. Standing in front of the car, you need the motor number, which would be to right of the oil fill tube. It is a stamped number. The engine looks to be a later engine, or the heads have been changed, or something. Might also, have the owner look down the passenger side of the engine, and see if there is an oil filter down there, indicating a later model engine. Where are the compressor brackets, compressor, condenser, hoses, etc? Lots of unanswered questions......

Comment

A '56 Power Hawk with yellow 2-bolt rocker covers and an alternator starts a long way from OEM and no one has ever seen a factory air installation on one AFAIK.

The good thing about Studes is this sort of authenticity issue isn't subject to opinion, majority vote or owner claims. Anyone can order a copy of the build sheet and it is or isn't factory air.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Still could be a nice driver, its build history would be interesting. Doofus

Comment

E-bay ad has the body number from the cowl tag listed as the vin. Makes me wonder what happened to the serial # tag on the drivers side A pillar.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Most of the time when an unknowing seller (flipper) sees something like that obviously VINTAGE under dash unit they automatically assume it is Original Factory Air.
              That may or may not be the case, but as Chuck says in Post #3, it does not much matter since everything under the hood, if it ever was there, is gone including probably THE ENGINE!

Studebaker did start using those Novi trunk mounted A/C Systems in 1955, so who knows.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X