Repro Vin Tags.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repro Vin Tags.

The Vin Tag below was done for one of our customers. If you're are interested they are AUD$66.00 + postage. (to the USA approx AUD$5.00) This pic makes the stainless look dull.

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

They should be able to do them with an I for a 1 so that they are correct/authentic.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just asking- Would these be legal to use in the 50 States to register a vehicle for a title and to secure license plates?

Frank Drumheller
      Locust Grove, VA
      60S-W6
      M16-52 '48 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        They should be able to do them with an I for a 1 so that they are correct/authentic.
        They probably use the '1' on purpose Gary, so as to differentiate them from Studebaker factory VIN tags.

Comment

I think it is a good thing that they are made "out of Country", that way no Criminal charges or lawsuits are likely!

It should never be noticed here, just don't tell! But if the truth be known I am pretty sure it is ILLEGAL.

With the frame # and the Production Order, it could be proved to be legit, but who would buy that? Altered or modified is just that.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I think it is a good thing that they are made "out of Country", that way no Criminal charges or lawsuits are likely!

It should never be noticed here, just don't tell! But if the truth be known I am pretty sure it is ILLEGAL.

With the frame # and the Production Order, it could be proved to be legit, but who would buy that? Altered or modified is just that.
            Yes, I too, think it would be illegal. But, if the 1 was changed to an I and it matched the number on the crossmember and the PO, I would not be afraid to use one. I would NEVER tell ANYONE it was a replacement plate though. Does that make me a bad guy?
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
              Yes, I too, think it would be illegal. But, if the 1 was changed to an I and it matched the number on the crossmember and the PO, I would not be afraid to use one. I would NEVER tell ANYONE it was a replacement plate though. Does that make me a bad guy?
              NOPE, it does not make you a bad guy, but you and I would be in the same Jail Cell though!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                That was my fault Gary. The engraver was working from my poor handwriting!

The 'I' can certainly be done as per original plates.

Chris.

Comment

I got a original Id plate and title for my Studebaker . Only had a bill of sale to begin with . Didn't want a builder's title. Here is where it gets interesting. Went to DMV and was told the serial number was no good. Said a motor home in Ohio had that serial number and no 2 vehicles can have same serial number . We added a M5 to my serial number . I had to make a new Id plate to show the info. Than everyone was happy .
                  Randy Wilkin
                  1946 M5 Streetrod
                  Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

These would not be illegal...IF

These are going on the same car that matches that number. If I bought one for my Daytona and used the serial number that is matched to the car, the Feds don't care. There are legitimate business that do produce real VIN tags for that purpose. And these businesses require documentation.

These would be illegal...IF

These went on a car to make it something it's not. To deceive someone into buying car (misrepresentation). Making a car something it's not.
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I have a source that made me the upper portion logo in a decal.
                      It applied to my original vin tag after polishing....Looks great......

Comment

I have made them before. Had one destroyed by the sand blasters, and made an exact copy and replaced it. I do not see anything wrong with replacing a damaged number plate with a new one with the same numbers. It's called restoration.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by alaipairod View Post
                          I have a source that made me the upper portion logo in a decal.
                          It applied to my original vin tag after polishing....Looks great......
                          You should have him make a couple dozen. I would definitely get one from you.
                          ?Wanted: Power Steering Parts for a 60 Lark.

Comment

This is an extremely bad idea. As well meaning as some 'restorers' are, duplicated vehicle identification plates can only lead to legal problems down the line. On a Studebaker, if the original spot welded stainless steel serial number plate is missing from that cars "A" pillar.....beware of imitations!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              This is an extremely bad idea. As well meaning as some 'restorers' are, duplicated vehicle identification plates can only lead to legal problems down the line. On a Studebaker, if the original spot welded stainless steel serial number plate is missing from that cars "A" pillar.....beware of imitations!
                              Misrepresentations are illegal and cause problems. Again, there are companies that make these for GM, Ford and Chrysler products. Nothing wrong if the numbers match...

Lets face facts...The only two cars worth the big bucks are genuine R3 cars (all known and documented) and really nice Golden Hawks. How much motivation is there to 'clone' an V8 Lark? Part of the charm with these cars is they are not worth Corvette or Shelby dollars.
                              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X