1931 President Four Season roadster 1930 and 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 President Four Season roadster 1930 and 2014

I posted this on the South Bend history site a few days ago and many seemed to enjoy it so will post here. The b-w photo at top shows a 1931 (model year) Studebaker President Four Season roadster taken at Leeper Park in South Bend on July 21, 1930 by David Stouffer (later Stouffer Graphic Arts). The color image was taken last month by Wyn Laidig the current owner of a similar car at the same spot. Wyn purchased the car earlier this year from Rex Miltenberger of Niles who restored it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	31 rexs leeper park1 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	1744997
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I like to think that I am open minded enough to embrace change.

In this instance...the similarities between the two pictures, spanning so many years...gives me great comfort.

Thanks for posting Richard. You've provided a momentary respite in a rather hectic day.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I agree. The continuity provided by these two photographs is comforting and reassuring in these turbulent and changing times. As a photographer I appreciate the time and effort that went in to aligning the angle, orientation, perspective and dimensions of the new photo to the old. Well done Wyn Laidig.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Great pictures !
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Interesting that the light fixtures on the bridge match in the newer picture but not on the older one. Would have thought the opposite due to damage over time.

It does look like the base of the bridge in the water has been redone some or perhaps its just the water level is different.

Would have WWW tires been uncommon on this care back when?

Jeff in ND

Comment

Yes, uncommon but I have a number of factory photos that show them. Some were actually double wide whites outside and inside.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The light fixtures do match in the old photo. The globes on the right hand fixture don't show up very well, but they are there.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                It does look like the base of the bridge in the water has been redone some or perhaps its just the water level is different.
                That's what I thought, too, Jeff, but I believe what has happened is that they added some rip-rap around the base of the bridge where the piers go into the water, to prevent erosion at the base of the piers.

I once saw an Engineering Disasters (or some such TV show) in which a sudden, catastrophic bridge failure was ultimately traced to undetected pier erosion below the water line. This would greatly reduce that possibility.

Dick: Great photos; just wonderful. If those aren't front and rear cover photos for either Antique Studebaker Review or Turning Wheels, I don't know what are. Thanks. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Beautiful!!

Comment

Working...
                  X