R1 cam and intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 cam and intake

I have an R1 engine that has been apart for a long time and I can not find the camshaft and intake.How can I tell which ones are the correct ones for this engine.
    It was out of a 64 GT hawk.Thank You,Don

PackardV8

Comment

R1 Intake is part# 1557472, R2 intake is 1557843. The R1 will not have the balance slots the R2 and other AFB intakes have and works better than the R2 intake so try to find the R1 intake. If you look at the R1 intake it will be flat with no slots or groves between the bores.
      Cam is part# 1557663 and the same for R1 and R2.
      Richard
      The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Shouldn't that measurement for the R cam be 2.833?

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by 63larkr1 View Post
          R1 Intake is part# 1557472, R2 intake is 1557843. The R1 will not have the balance slots the R2 and other AFB intakes have and works better than the R2 intake so try to find the R1 intake. If you look at the R1 intake it will be flat with no slots or groves between the bores.
          Richard
          Richard, as of right now I have both intakes in an other post for sale I just bumped it up so the person asking can take a look at the pictures of both but in this case the numbers are the same and the bores are different, I will double check my numbers when I get to the shop just in case i missed something the yellow one as paint that could change the number I was reading..also I do have some reground cams to the R-1 R-2 specks....Bob
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Originally posted by 63larkr1 View Post
            Richard
            Richard I went back to the shop and cleaned the paint off the numbers on both the intakes I have and the numbers are the same and not the numbers you show as R-1 or R-2 both of these are 1557144 as seen in the pictures along with the yellow one having smaller bores up front along with a slot between the 4 bores, the black one has no slots and all 4 bores are of large size 1-3/4" so I really don't know where your number comes from....Bob

Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
              Shouldn't that measurement for the R cam be 2.833?

Ted
              Yes, the lobe lift is .2833" but the lobe top-to-bottom is 1.3488". IIRC, you're the one who gave me that dimension some years back. ;>)

jack
              PackardV8

Comment

The part numbers quoted for the R1 and R2 manifolds are the Studebaker part number from the parts books. The number on the manifold is the casting number and is sometimes different from the Studebaker part number as is the case with V8 heads. Hope this helps. George.

Comment

Geo. what is the casting number on one that you might have? all I know they are for the R-2 set up.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Bob, I have an R2 intake here and the one on my Champ truck came off an R1 and they both have the same casting number 1557144. My guess is that they are the same casting and Stude just gave a different part number for the R2 ones when they modified them. I am sure someone will say if I have it wrong. Cheers, George.

Comment

Bob,
                      As George said the 1557144 is just a casting #, not the part #. This comes up once in a while and is confusing. The R2 intake is common to other AFB manifolds and not exclusive to the R2.
                      The part #s I gave are correct and right out of the parts book. Your pictures show the difference clearly, thanks for posting them.
                      Richard
                      The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Working...
                      X