Core support removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Core support removal question

Do I give up, or is there some "key" to removing the core support on my 54 wagon...without separating the fenders...or a saws-all ?
    Yes, all six fasteners are removed and it's loose and floppy.

Thanks

Mike

You say 6 bolts? from the inner fender to the support I assume.

Most post wars have 2 long bolts that pass through the core support 'ears' and go through the frame and they are hard to see.. They go from the top down, nuts on the bottom of the frame rail. Remove a wheel and look in there. There are also large washers that sit on the top of the frame to shim up the support. Don't loose track of them, they shim up the whole nose.

Late cars have a strap from the rad support, to the front deflector panel....... not sure about a '54 wag, but it is center of the rad support on others. If you take 1 fender off, you can see way better.
    Last edited by (S); 10-26-2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

It won't rotate clockwise from the top vantage point to clear the right fender apron?

Comment

I just removed my core on my 54 and yes the six fender bolts have to be removed and two vertical 6" bolts through the frame. The rad will come out with it as a unit or it can be removed separately.

Comment

altair -
          "six" fender bolts...?

The six I'm refering to are the two vertical, thru the frame, and the four, two each side thru the inner fender to the core support.
          As noted, it'll wiggle around, up and down, front to back, not much side to side, and doesn't want to rotate enough to get the "ears" to come out of the hole in the inner fender.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
            altair -
            "six" fender bolts...?

The six I'm refering to are the two vertical, thru the frame, and the four, two each side thru the inner fender to the core support.
            As noted, it'll wiggle around, up and down, front to back, not much side to side, and doesn't want to rotate enough to get the "ears" to come out of the hole in the inner fender.

Mike
            Sorry my mistake there are a total of 6 bolts 2 on each side of the core. There are 6 bolts securing the rad. As I look at it further it appears that the tabs that bolt to the frame are under the the fender and the core may not come out with the fender in place. I have my fenders off so there is no issue, but I can see if the fenders were on the core would not come out.

Comment

DXMN...

Thanks

Mike

Comment

Hey guys, had this problem on my 56 wagon. Core support mounting legs and fender mount are "Keyed" together and it takes some raising of the fender to unlock it all. Luck, Doofus

Comment

From the Operation Step & Time Guide:

Click image for larger version

Name:	r&r.core.support.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1692598
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Interesting. Just barely read it, but I think I got it.

Thanks Dwain.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                      Interesting. Just barely read it, but I think I got it.

Mike
                      You should be able to click on the pic about three times and fill the whole screen.
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I enlarged it here at work fine.
                        But that task bar is gone from my home computer. I forgot it was even there to go look for it.
                        I wondered about doing what's explained the other weekend, but worried about screwing up the whole fender alignment.

Thanks again.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X