Naked Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Naked Avanti

Looking at a 63 Avanti R1 which had at the end of its serial number on the original title the letter "U," and it seems to have no external scripts, ornaments or emblems. The present owner says the car was partial repainted some years ago, but there are NO holes or repairs where the typical scripts, ornaments and emblems should have been. The owner says that the scripts, ornaments & emblems were never installed by the factory because of the buyer's request, and that the "U" in the serial number was to denote that. Is this possible?

Anything is possible, but from my experience "U" are being told a story of the car leaving the factory without any emblems.

Bob Caser
    mrbobinc

Comment

Anything like that would likely be noted on the production order. In absence of that document, it didn't happen.
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

The car was probably wrecked and the fiberglass replaced and they could not figure out the location of the emblems so just left them off.

Comment

Some states thought that the Avanti S/N wasn't long enough for a VIN and added to it. I do not remember ever hearing of a U being used.
          More likely, I believe that the U in the title indicates a rebuilt wreck/total from some state. Probably fiberglass panels were replaced and the emblems were not placed on the car at that time. I suggest checking the frame and panel/door fit carefully.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What was the serial number of the car? The bit that StudeGary said about having a character added to the VIN or title purposes is true, California in 1962 added an "A" or a "B" because their newly minted computer system would only accept 8 characters or more.. I've never heard of a "U" ........ "U"nless it does mean a salvage title..
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

California prints salvage title right on it, and now days if one was to go into the California DMV with paper work that is not in the computer and had the vin number verified by some one that read it wrong and got any thing extra as part of the vin the title would come back stating what ever number was submitted.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                I've never heard of a "U" ........ "U"nless it does mean a salvage title..
                Well, of course, it means "U"nfinished. Remember to tip the help!

Comment

Larry:
                  In catching up on my reading of Avanti posts I saw your Naked Avanti post.
                  If the S/N of this 1963 Avanti is 63R-2122 I owned the car in 1964 and
                  sold it in 1968. E-mail me at ililt@

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                    Well, of course, it means "U"nfinished. Remember to tip the help!
                    Now,.....THAT'S FUNNY!!

Comment

Working...
                    X