X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Belvedere update

From the Dec. 07 issue of Hemmings Classic Car:

IT'S NOT OVER YET

It seems that Miss Belvedere- yes, that same buried Plymouth that's been bouncing around the newsrooms across America- is not going to silently slip into the quiet museum life. At least not yet. Reports have surfaced that the Ultra One Corporation has been hired to derust the pile pulled from the ground earlier this year; Ultra One, by the way, developed the Safest Rust Remover products.

However, before you get all cranked up about what will actually happen to the car, keep this in mind: "We're not going to take it apart and try to restore it," says Robert Carney, who, as of this writing, has yet to be declared the "official" winner of the car. The Plymouth will simply be stabilized and, "Once we get it derusted, we think it'll run," says Carney. Spokesman Dwight Foster said the process should take six months to complete; progress updatescan be found at
    www.missbelvedere.com .

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

I need a job at that company, they dont have any drug screening thats for sure..[)] That poor waste of a once beautiful Plymouth will never run again, and be certain I would love to eat my words. But that car once is derusted I picture it disassembling itself in the floor of there shop.[V]

Randy_G
    1959 Lark Sedan
    This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

I need a job at that company, they dont have any drug screening thats for sure..[)] That poor waste of a once beautiful Plymouth will never run again, and be certain I would love to eat my words. But that car once is derusted I picture it disassembling itself in the floor of there shop.[V]

Randy_G
      1959 Lark Sedan
      This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Did they ever clean the Cosmoline/ rust particle goo off of it to see what they had? I figure that once the novelty wears off, it should be auctioned off, hopefully to a "Forward Look" Mopar Fanatic who will use it for parts to restore a car that isn't so badly deteriorated.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

Did they ever clean the Cosmoline/ rust particle goo off of it to see what they had? I figure that once the novelty wears off, it should be auctioned off, hopefully to a "Forward Look" Mopar Fanatic who will use it for parts to restore a car that isn't so badly deteriorated.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wally

I figure that once the novelty wears off, it should be auctioned off, hopefully to a "Forward Look" Mopar Fanatic who will use it for parts to restore a car that isn't so badly deteriorated.
            I disagree- I think they should clean/restore it as far as is practical, and preserve it in a museum. It's story will always be an interesting one.

Besides- what would it have that's salvageable that someone would really need?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wally

I figure that once the novelty wears off, it should be auctioned off, hopefully to a "Forward Look" Mopar Fanatic who will use it for parts to restore a car that isn't so badly deteriorated.
              I disagree- I think they should clean/restore it as far as is practical, and preserve it in a museum. It's story will always be an interesting one.

Besides- what would it have that's salvageable that someone would really need?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Good Point, Bams. From what I have read, There are at least two camps holding differing(and strong) views on what should be done with the car. Hopefully, it won't be an issue in the '08 elections. LOL. Still, wouldn't it be a nice compromise for the time being if the rusted Belvedere was at least cleaned up thoroughly so that it looked as good as it can? As far as salvageable parts, I can think of some--how about lenses and other hard to find plastic parts? What about the glass and stainless steel and quite possibly aluminum parts? I guess you could say that it is arguably a museum piece in the same way that the 1966 Buick Electra 225 that Jayne Mansfield died in(still exists, last I heard) or the Bonnie & Clyde 34 Ford, or the James Dean Porche(whereabouts unknown), don't you think?

Comment

Good Point, Bams. From what I have read, There are at least two camps holding differing(and strong) views on what should be done with the car. Hopefully, it won't be an issue in the '08 elections. LOL. Still, wouldn't it be a nice compromise for the time being if the rusted Belvedere was at least cleaned up thoroughly so that it looked as good as it can? As far as salvageable parts, I can think of some--how about lenses and other hard to find plastic parts? What about the glass and stainless steel and quite possibly aluminum parts? I guess you could say that it is arguably a museum piece in the same way that the 1966 Buick Electra 225 that Jayne Mansfield died in(still exists, last I heard) or the Bonnie & Clyde 34 Ford, or the James Dean Porche(whereabouts unknown), don't you think?

Comment

Someone suggested that 1/2 be cleaned and the other left as it is. I like that idea. That car is more unusual and interesting in its present state. Restore it and it's just another restored Plymouth. Would have been different if it came out a nice survivor.

ErnieR

Comment

Someone suggested that 1/2 be cleaned and the other left as it is. I like that idea. That car is more unusual and interesting in its present state. Restore it and it's just another restored Plymouth. Would have been different if it came out a nice survivor.

ErnieR

Comment

Boy, that Ultra One slide show is pretty impressive. Check out the heavy surface rust on that 1963(?) Comet hood, and the way they just seemingly wash it off. [:0] BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Boy, that Ultra One slide show is pretty impressive. Check out the heavy surface rust on that 1963(?) Comet hood, and the way they just seemingly wash it off. [:0] BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                          X