Need lots of 64 GT Hawk build opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need lots of 64 GT Hawk build opinions

OK folks, I have a dilemma with one of my 64 GT's. It is VIN#64V 1205, built on 8/13/63. It is a big project car that the p.o. claimed was an L.A. auto show car, which the build sheet and shipping document seem to confirm. It is an R2, power shift with ALL the bells and whistles short of A FULL PACKAGE CAR. It is marked with 99 TAG INTRODUCTORY SHOW CAR and 413 SHOW CAR QUALITY, along with 2 columns of accessories. Here is my quandary, how do I restore this car? I know it SHOULD be done to original specs, but my tastes would go in a different direction. I understand, it's my money-my car, however I understand the historical importance of this car, if it is truly what it seems. Does anyone out there go back that far, that they remember seeing this car at one of the west coast shows? Sooooo, what do you think of this situation? Many thanks, Bill.

From your comments I have the idea that a completely original car is not what you want to spend your time and resources on. To quote Ricky Nelson in his song Garden Party: "You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself." It would be hard for me to be motivated about working and investing my money in a car that results in something I was not that excited about.

One option for you to consider is to offer this car up for sale in hopes that someone who would do an original restoration would see the value and pay you a fair price. If it sells, then you start looking for a car that you would be comfortable finishing in the direction you would enjoy having and driving. You would want to promote it as a special car and include any documentation that you have. Take advantage of EBay and whatever wide scale sales tools you could find to give it maximum exposure. All that takes time and whether you are willing to wait to get started is up to you. If you at least attempt this, and you do not get fair offers for the car then that should give you a clear conscience to go forward as you want to. In the end, as you say, "Your car, your money" you are the one who needs to be happy with it in the end.
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 10-26-2014, 08:55 AM.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Agree, there are always several GT Hawks around at reasonable prices one can modify. Some of them already have a lot of work, brakes, engine swaps, whatever done to them.

There's only one LA Show GT Hawk. Pass it on to someone who wants a "one-and-only".

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I agree with Pat on this one. If no one is willing to step up and restore it as original then take your own path with it. How much difference in value is the showcar vs any other 64 R2 hawk? We have modified our 64 hawk and enjoy driving it a lot more.
        StudeRick & Johna
        Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
        1957 Silver Hawk
        1963 Avanti
        1961 Lark Wagon
        1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

I also agree with Pat D. I am glad that he did all of the "typing".
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
            One option for you to consider is to offer this car up for sale in hopes that someone who would do an original restoration would see the value and pay you a fair price. If it sells, then you start looking for a car that you would be comfortable finishing in the direction you would enjoy having and driving. You would want to promote it as a special car and include any documentation that you have. Take advantage of EBay and whatever wide scale sales tools you could find to give it maximum exposure. All that takes time and whether you are willing to wait to get started is up to you. If you at least attempt this, and you do not get fair offers for the car then that should give you a clear conscience to go forward as you want to.
            I totally agree with this opinion.

Craig

Comment

Another option is to offer to trade for a similar GT Hawk that does not have the unique heritage.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Thanks to all so far. I agree that selling it is a good option. The issue is that it is a MAJOR project. The car is more parts than anything, frame and body shell together, the rest is in boxes and loose. That will make this one a hard sell. Hence, my looking for others opinions. I have a second 64 GT R1, that is a little more put together, so I'm not lacking something to work on. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                  Another option is to offer to trade for a similar GT Hawk that does not have the unique heritage.
                  This seems (to me anyways) the way to go. Big question is, just how special is this car, and what is a typical Studebaker CASO (yes that includes me) willing to pay for the `special-ness` of this particular car? Just because it was in a major auto show makes me wonder how much it really adds to the value of the car. If you don`t offer it for sale or trade for an equivalent, or even better condition car all the purists are going to natter on and on about how such a valuable car has been destroyed by yet another idiot who chooses to modify their car to their desire. If you do decide to offer it to someone who will keep the car `pure` and no one takes you up on the offer then go for it and make it YOUR ride. Not being negative here, just real...willing to bet if you do modify it to your taste someone, somewhere is going to call you out on it. Bottom line, as you know, your car...please yourself. Wasn't it 'Boyd' (RIP) that said something like it takes a real man to cut up a classic and make a hot rod out of it (referring to a somewhat rare first-gen 'Vette) that he modified?? I always laugh at that and wish I had the $, name, and balls to be in the same position. have fun! junior
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

So Bill, this is the Black with White Vinyl Roof '64 Show Car?
                    Don't we have Pics of the L.A. Auto Show that show it?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by bill van alstyne View Post
                      OK folks, I have a dilemma with one of my 64 GT's. It is VIN#64V 1205, built on 8/13/63. It is a big project car that the p.o. claimed was an L.A. auto show car, which the build sheet and shipping document seem to confirm. It is an R2, power shift with ALL the bells and whistles short of A FULL PACKAGE CAR. It is marked with 99 TAG INTRODUCTORY SHOW CAR and 413 SHOW CAR QUALITY, along with 2 columns of accessories. Here is my quandary, how do I restore this car? I know it SHOULD be done to original specs, but my tastes would go in a different direction. I understand, it's my money-my car, however I understand the historical importance of this car, if it is truly what it seems. Does anyone out there go back that far, that they remember seeing this car at one of the west coast shows? Sooooo, what do you think of this situation? Many thanks, Bill.
                      I wonder it James & Stephanie would be interested in it.

Craig
                      Last edited by 8E45E; 10-26-2014, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        There's only one LA Show GT Hawk.
                        Now I wonder if this one was the L.A. show car. James stated the L.A. show car is in Bellingham in post #5 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t=angeles+show

It would be interesting to know which show this one was destined for, if it was not in L.A.

Craig

Comment

Pictures would help a lot.
                          78 Avanti RQB 2792
                          64 Avanti R1 R5408
                          63 Avanti R1 R4551
                          63 Avanti R1 R2281
                          62 GT Hawk V15949
                          56 GH 6032504
                          56 GH 6032588
                          55 Speedster 7160047
                          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

If everyone tried to save every "historical" car, or anything else for that matter, it would be an impossible nightmare for many of the owners who would end up selling nice examples of things they otherwise could not deal with adequately to suit everyone else, from historians to fanatical purist. You say that you understand it's "your car and your money," but your post seems to me to suggest that you would like someone else to make the decision. I cannot do it, nor do I believe anyone else can either. However, seeking first-hand experiences with the car at the show, etc. is a different issue and one that any owner of a "significant" object can accumulate and preserve. I don't mean to sound harsh, if I have, and I wish you all the best no matter how you opt going with it.

Comment

Late to the party again, but put me in the "I agree with Pat column" Bill. Unless someone steps up and helps you finance the build of a different Hawk by buying yours, I'd forge ahead fearlessly and not look back.

Keep the tags and info and let the next guy worry about it. Just think of how excited he'll be when he finds those taped to the glovebox, Another Whistler moment.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X