Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker US6-U4 scale model

Hi!

He is a big fan of vintage American trucks and one of his favorite is Studebaker US6-U4.
    One of the reasons for that - his grandfather drove one as a soldier during the WWII.
    As you know, a lot of those trucks were sent from US to Soviet Union by Land-Lease program during Roosevelt presidency.

He made 5 identical copies - one for himself, one for his good friend, who was helpful in purchasing blueprints, working with 3D-designers etc.
    3 copies he would like to sell, so he can pay-off all those hours and money he invest in this project.
    So if you interested, or maybe you know somebody, who can truly appreciate this kind of work, please e-mail me.

You can find a pictures of his work in progress here:
    http://photo.qip.ru/users/svarilka/115587910/?page=25
    Thanks for your time!

This is hand built?

His own assembly line...

That is Amazing!!
    Last edited by SScopelli; 10-23-2014, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
      This is hand built?
      Yes, by one person. The only thing - he has to hire graphic designer to make a 3D-model of a driver cab and then print it.
      Then he made a mold and casted 5 copies using polyurethane resin.
      The most parts made of metal, wood, etc. Seat cover is a real leather.
      Model weights about 3.5 lb.

Comment

I'm impressed! Bet they would not be cheap! The images below are a few of the 100 or so in my collection. The first is from the cover of a book of maybe 2 dozen images of Studebakers being used by the Russian army in WWII. The book was sent to Studebaker by the Russians as a token of gratitude for their supplying trucks during the war (Yes, that is Soviet Premier Stalin). Maybe you or your friend can translate the verbiage? Number two assembled trucks in storage near the Studebaker Power House awaiting shipment. Number three testing at the Studebaker Proving Ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wwii trucks2jpg copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	1692548Click image for larger version

Name:	wwii trucks1 copy.jpg
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1692549Click image for larger version

Name:	wwii trucks3jpg copy.jpg
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1692550
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The first picture reads: modern warrior is a warrior motors. And then the single word toward the bottom right is: Stalin

Tell your friend, if possable, to sell them idividually on E-Bay either at a fixed price or at auction with a reserve at the minimum price that he would accept for one.

P.S. 41.7 Rubels = 1 Dollar US
          Last edited by M15 Trucker; 10-23-2014, 10:43 AM.

Comment

A scaled model of this fidelity needs to be in the Studebaker Museum as well as his photos of the assembly..

Comment

Great idea. Buy one and donate it. I am sure they would appreciate it.
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by M15 Trucker View Post
                The first picture reads: modern warrior is a warrior motors. And then the single word toward the bottom right is: Stalin
                Great, thanks.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by M15 Trucker View Post
                  Correct translation would be "modern war is a war of engines".
                  So, whoever built a better engine - wins in the war.
                  In most, its explains superiority of diesel engines T-34 tank over gasoline engines of German "tigers", "panthers" etc.
                  One of the main tasks to Soviet engineers was to build a better, reliable engines, that would't care so much about fuel quality and wouldn't require a lot of mechanical skills to repair and maintain.
                  Stalin saw this through.

Comment

This is an amazing scale model! I guess that it is more than one foot long.

It has my interest. The important question is; What is the cost to purchase one and have it shipped to the USA?
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      What is the cost to purchase one and have it shipped to the USA?
                      The price is a tough question, because its not a toy or even rare die-cast model, so you can check it in catalogue. It's more like work of art thing, if you wish.
                      Oleg had a few offers from Russian scale model forums and the biggest was $3500.
                      Scale modeling is one of my hobbies too, so I know a bit how much time and work it takes. And more important - those skills takes years to develop.
                      I think it deserves better. Honestly, for $3.5K I would buy one myself with an easy option to resell it later for much better price.
                      I guess people in US appreciate hand-crafted stuff way more, then in Russia.
                      So I called another friend of mine - Alex Kustov http://www.italianhorses.net who use to sell some of his creations to serious scale model collectors and his opinion about the price was as much as $10K.
                      So, just to make it easy: if you have some serious interest in purchasing - just tell how much you would buy one for.
                      As for the shipping: I hope I will have one or two models here, in Chicago soon.
                      So no need to worry about shipping company to mess it up.

Comment

Incredible detail.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

If you have champagne taste and a beer budget, then there are a number of US6 model kits available that you can build. A 1/35 plastic model from ICM is distributed in the U.S. by www.squadron.com. There seem to be 3 or 4 versions available: basic truck, rocket launcher, medical transport with figures, etc.; costs are $40-$60. Alternatively, if you have incredible patience and eye-hand coordination and only $2 to spend, you can make a complete model out of paper and glue. I have the PDF file to print out the sheets of paper. Even the paper model has incredible detail. Here are photos of the paper model under construction. But, no, I haven't actually built one.

That metal model is incredible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	US6model_engine.jpg
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1692555Click image for larger version

Name:	US6model_engine_unpainted.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1692556Click image for larger version

Name:	US6model_front.jpg
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	1692557
                          Gary Ash
                          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                          '48 M5
                          '65 Wagonaire Commander
                          '63 Wagonaire Standard
                          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Oleg's model is a work of art and, as such, is totally out of my price range, but I think it is great. The hours involved in building these must be considerable.
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Perhaps some of us could work together, and, as individuals, or as SDC chapters, pool some money and buy one of Oleg's trucks and donate it to the SDC museum. It would also be nice to have enough money extra to bring Oleg to South Bend to visit the museum.
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X