Radio information needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio information needed

I have a Motorola push-button radio I plan to put in my Champ truck. There is a double wire coming out of the radio to connect to the speaker. One of the wires has a tracer. The new speaker has a red dot by one of the terminals. What goes to what?

The Studebaker parts Catalog, 7E, 8E Series (January 1963), p.422, calls for three suppressors. Where do I attach them?

Rick

The Condensors go on the Voltage Regulator, Generator and Coil, the Radio install kits came with a braided copper ground wire to ground the hood to the body and one to ground the Oil Pressure Copper Line to the firewall as well because it runs near the Radio.

One of our Radio gurus will have to help with the speaker wires, I understand that both hookups work, but one has better sound quality.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-21-2014, 03:00 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

"usually" the red dot signifies where the positive wire is to be placed. the tracer "usually" denotes the negative speaker wire.

no, i'm not a radio expert - but have put many sound systems in various vehicles "back in the day".
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

If you are only using one speaker it does not matter. If you are using two or more, just make sure they are all connected the same.

Comment

Thanks to all.

Installed today.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by AC0J View Post
            If you are only using one speaker it does not matter. If you are using two or more, just make sure they are all connected the same.
            Some OEM car radios and some OEM speakers had one speaker terminal grounded. One of the speaker wires was grounded within the radio, and one of the speaker's push-on connectors was simply riveted to the frame of the speaker, and also connected to the voice coil. Those, you had better get right! Most aftermarket speakers have both terminals "floating" off-ground, and with them it doesn't matter, even if one of the wires coming from the radio is indeed grounded.

Just to clarify, or obfuscate, as the case may be.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Radio is installed and connected.

Thanks everyone.

Rick

Comment

Working...
              X