Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

29 & 30 dictator coupes finally share the same home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 & 30 dictator coupes finally share the same home.

I have been collecting Studebakers for over 20 years. But recently bought both of the above cars (both my first pre war cars). Both very good original cars. The 29 runs drives and stops well been kinda putting around with it in back roads. Just got the 30 home last night haven't tried to start it yet. But it appears to be In better shape than the 29. I am going to need into on basic tune up and other parts/suggestions to try to get the 30 running. Also will need info on how to replace the roof fabrics and sealant. Also the 29 (first pic) originally must have had a vinyl roof because under the vinyl there now is all wood surrounding all 3 back windows. That wood is shot all rotten are templates available to rebuild the wood (tops sides and back) also what wood was used. Thanks john

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1744907
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1744908
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

wish I could help you out with your questions but you have a very nice pair of vehicles there.
    Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Originally posted by what huh View Post
      wish I could help you out with your questions but you have a very nice pair of vehicles there.
      John, I just got a 35 Dictator with the same top issue. Most vendors specialize in Ford, GM, etc. Try Juliancos.com/index/html, and or Franks House of Parts, 503-933 2599 who says they will consider other cars. I have the bows for a 35 dictator and will trace pattern on Kraft paper if you want them. The bows follow the slope of the metal portion of the roof. There is also wood on the inside of the roof to tack exterior roof material to. So far the largest issue is the lack of parts not just for roof parts but everything else. SI has just about everything for post war Studebakers, but pre-war stuff is difficult to find. Ken, Deltaville Va
      Last edited by ken-renda; 10-17-2014, 03:01 PM.

Comment

John, looking good. I like seeing the older Studes. Jeff

Comment

Pardon me if I'm just a bit envious. I'd love to drive either one of those to a gathering of A Models. Maybe it's best that I don't get one.

There's enough jerks already, without a southern hillbilly upstaging a group of tin lizzies with a real automobile.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hi

Wood structure templates are rarely available. The rotted wood itself has to serve as patternmaking for size and shape. Approach it's replacement carefully, taking shape and dimensions as disassembly takes place. The wood of choice was ash because it is fine grained and easiest to shape. There may be metal braces on joints so note placement of those as well.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X