1951 Starlite Coupe $8500 CL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Starlite Coupe $8500 CL

Not mine, but I might be up in the area on Tuesday if anyone is interested.

1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Appears to be a Champion.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I saw this ad. Looking at the buildings, I believe this is about 8 miles from me.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I guess they couldn't move the Jeep or the Stude to get a shot of the front end. (That's OK though, everyone here knows what they look like.)
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          Appears to be a Champion.
          It has the cheapie trunk light/handle.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Was the tail light ring painted on the custom? Doesn't look bad, just plainer than I expected.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

It's possible that the car is a Deluxe Champion (least expensive) with the painted tailight rims. The headlight rims would also be painted body color.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

This car is likely a Champion Custom. The painted light rims and the "chicken butt" trunk handle say that. Someone probably put a hood ornament on it some time in the last 63 years.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  I saw this ad. Looking at the buildings, I believe this is about 8 miles from me.
                  Well, maybe you could take a camera over there and snap some better pix.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    Well, maybe you could take a camera over there and snap some better pix.
                    Yes, I suppose I could. It would make a good excuse to go and see it.
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I went to see this car today. It's a very nice survivor with "vintage" alterations like paint and upholstery. It drives nice. The clutch and transmission are as good as they get. The engine is good with very good oil pressure. The car has little rust, but there has been some bondo put on it years ago. The odometer is 68xxx miles. If the service sticker on the car is correct it has only been driven 3000 miles since 1972. All the mechanicals (excluding engine and maybe transmission) have been gone through. Even the wiper motor is rebuilt. It has very good brakes. Floors are solid as far as I can tell. The owner has an acquaintance who is an excellent painter and for extra $ the car can be painted where it is now. The car has radio delete, but it does have a heater. The owner is a gentleman very experienced in old cars, but has sort of run out of room. He searched for quite a while to find this one. It is originally from North Carolina, but saw little or no salt water. It comes with extra parts like driver's door window and window runs, etc. Here are pictures:Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0543.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1692501
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0542.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1692500Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0544.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1692502Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0546.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1692503Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0545.jpg
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1692504Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0547.jpg
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1692505Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0548.jpg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1692506Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0550.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1692507Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0553.jpg
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1692508Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0552.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1692509

Comment

Thanks for the pictures and the report, Scott.

So... it's basically a custom with an added hood ornament. Looks like it does not have overdrive, which is not unexpected for a custom.

The firewall looks very red in the photos, but they only had two shades of maroon on the 51 cars, so it is probably the lighter shade of the two. Studebaker made no bright red 50 or 51 cars, although you could get bright red on a truck.

How was the chrome pot metal on the grill and bullet?

Comment

I guess Oregon is not the place to live if you a CAS buyer. I have been looking for a Studebaker and everyone I see is priced about 2 or three times as much opposed to prices in other parts of the country. I could buy this fairly local for 15 grand http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/4715808255.html or this one http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/4708550169.html for $7,500 which is much nicer imo. I guess I am just a CA car owner. I have been driving for almost 50 years and I have never paid over $1200.00 for a car. I had to pay that for my last car I bought a couple of years ago because there was nothing that ran in my usual $500. to $1000. range.

Comment

The chrome on the grill and bullet (which is mostly plastic) showed typical pitting. Not show quality, but that's not surprising since this is a driver.

Comment

This car is back on Craigslist and the price is $7500. I feel a little bad for the guy because I know he has more than $10K invested in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X