52 Race car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Race car

Today I spent a few hours with the owner of the nice 52 race car I posted last week in another thread, here is more info and some pictures about it, also some info on some of his other speed equipment.

First the 52 is a starlite coupe and always a California car. no rust, He has been racing it since the late 50's early 60's and started out as a 232V-8 and 3 speed and won many time in the early stock class not much could bet it. as the years went on he changed over to a 289 ect and on up into an R-2 set up and auto, near the end of his racing days a few years ago the car was running an R-3 not a clone but a "B' block numbered engine that was rebuild and is about 307 inches now and at the time was running between 12.6 and 12.7 in the 1/4 mile at 110 mph. all with a power shift transmission and 2500 stall converter, not sure what rear gears it has I forgot to ask him but my guess they must be in the 400's After he stopped racing he wanted to try something a little different and changed from the Paxton to a Whipple direct drive charger as seen in these pictures, he said he drove it a couple of times on the track but was not dialed in completely but did feel strong and he figure it would and could take the car down to the lower 12's when things were all done and running right, in these pictures the chrome looks dull but it is not he has some kind of protector on and will clean off and polish up nice, the hood has a hole in the center so the air cleaner will clear as the Whipple set up sits higher, but the original stock hood goes with the car when sold, also the rear fenders have had the wells cut our and flailed to receive the large racing tires he ran, they are junk now so the tires under the car now are not racing ones. he ran 12-14" slicks to get good traction. The interior is stock except for some extra racing gauges and the shifter set up, the front brakes are 11' fin drums. take a look at the pictures and interested people can PM me for more info. $25,000.00 also he has much speed equipment to sell and I will start another thread with some of the items for sale . Also original rear fenders come with car.

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

One of the things I remembered about the car was the missing grille bars and teeth. I have considered doing my car like that.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

here are a few more pictures of the 52, one very nice car race or not.

Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        One of the things I remembered about the car was the missing grille bars and teeth. I have considered doing my car like that.
        I think he removed them for racing, I am sure he still has them.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Looks very nice!
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Generally you don't see that much attention paid to radiusing the rear wheel wells. A nice car, Hope it goes to a good home and hopefully it sees the track again.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Generally you don't see that much attention paid to radiusing the rear wheel wells. A nice car, Hope it goes to a good home and hopefully it sees the track again.

Bob
              Bob, to get the traction the car needed bigger tires were needed so the fenders got worked and big tires used, good fenders go with the car also...Bob
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Chicken Hawk II?
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Looks like they grafted front wheel openings to the rear fenders. Nice job
                  sigpic
                  2005 Dodge Magnum
                  1952 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

I have a pic of that engine from several years ago.
                    Good to see more pic's of the rest of the car.
                    Thanks for posting it up.
                    Love that Whipple rotary screw supercharger... One of the best superchargers out there..
                    Efficient and quiet, and heats the air a lot less than a roots, or even a centrifugal....
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                    X