Heat evacuator on Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat evacuator on Avanti

Here are some photos of the heat evacuator with the stainless wire mesh installed on the Avanti hood..

Will take some additional photos once the hood is installed.

And yes, I strained myself installing the wire mesh. (Second oldest joke in the world)
    Attached Files
    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Should be interesting watching 'heat waves' rising up in front of you on a hot summer's day....Better outside than inside the car though!...Nice work.

Comment

I like that a lot. How did you install the mesh on the under side of the hood?

Comment

Interesting concept. By coincidence, the previous owner of Raymond Loewy's 1963 Avanti in France also did something like this to lower the underhood temperatures. In his case, he had three concentric circles placed in the rear portion of the hood bulge with screen mesh covering the holes from the inside and the edges covered with stainless steel edging.
        Lew Schucart
        Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          I like that a lot. How did you install the mesh on the under side of the hood?
          We used 10-32 weld nuts secured with a marine adhesive to the fiberglass. The stainless mesh then had holes made to clear the weld nut towers. The stainless wire mesh was secured with 3/4 diameter rubber bushings with 1/4 holes, which slipped over the weld nut towers.

10-32 stainless panheads with washers were then drawn up against the rubber bushings.

I'll try to get some photos of the hood underside early next week for you.
          sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Lew, any photos of that Avanti's hood?

I attended a British car show to get ideas for the mesh. It was used on Aston Martin vehicles, and Lotus. I got the idea to modify the hood as if Studebaker was making a competitor for the Grand Sport in 1963. Picked up a Dana 44 ICA housing with bosses for plumbing a rear end cooler.

Comment

nice looking job!!! i'll take the opposite view of Ed - if you are in the north, once moving, it should keep the drivers side windshield warm enough to keep from icing.

i've loaded this pic up before of the louvers on my Avanti. i've had some inquiries about it, but i don't know how the P.O. had this done in fiberglass. i purchased her in Clearwater, FL in '09. maybe someone in the Tampa/St. Pete area (or others) know how it was done...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0282.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1692396
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

That's very interesting about Corvanti's former Avanti....How the heck did someone louver a fiberglass hood??????????????????

Comment

That is really cool. I like the rounded corners, good attention to detail.

Tom
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
                    That is really cool. I like the rounded corners, good attention to detail.

Tom
                    Tom,
                    If you are speaking of the opening for the wire mesh, you will appreciate this. We made those radii proportional, using 1 3/4 diameter at the top, and 1 3/8 diameter at the bottom.

If you are speaking of Corvanti's louvers, I like them too.

Comment

Originally posted by grobb284 View Post
                      Tom,
                      We made those radii proportional, using 1 3/4 diameter at the top, and 1 3/8 diameter at the bottom.
                      I overlooked that detail...I would have laid-out the cut, made the cut, then looked at hole and figured something wasn`t quite right. Very nice, as is the whole dang build! junior
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Very well thought out modification. Many folks won't know that it is not factory.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I was referring to the wire mesh opening. The rounded corners serve two purposes, one is matching the openings on the rest of the car, and two lessening the risk of cracks in the fiberglas.

Tom
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

What size wire mesh did you use? How big is the "opening" between wires - is this like a 10 x 10 or more towards a 50 x 50 mesh http://www.bwire.com ?

I do like the rounded corners a lot - is this something that you think can be cut by hand using some aviation snips? Or do you think it is more likely something that must be cut using a waterjet or laser machine?

Comment

The mesh is 8 x 8, with the wire in the vicinity of .045.
                              The mesh was not cut with any radii, they were either straight cuts or stair stepped cuts. Only the hood could be cut with tapered or round cuts.
                              We used a thin abrasive cut off wheel in a electric hand grinder, cutting the wire in small increments.

Comment

Working...
                              X