I Wonder What Happened in 1957?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Wonder What Happened in 1957?

I was working under the dash board of my 1957 Packard station wagon today.
    While under the dash board I noted the paper tag glued to the bottom of my glove box. Fully expecteding to see "Artic White / Inca Cream" written on it. I was quite surprised to see "Artic White / Tiara Gold" printed on the tag!
    Now I know my car has been Artic White and Inca Cream since new as I have two build sheets saying this was the color combination on the car when it was built. Also I have the front clip off the car right now and it is Inca Cream in places where any repaint couldn't reach unless car was completely taken apart.
    Was this car in the production line and someone special ordered this color combination while enroute to the paint shop and the sticker wasn't updated?
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

OR... it got the wrong Dashboard! The more likely case. I have seen the Line Number written on the bottom of the Dash Chassis before in an attempt to prevent this from happening, but there are HUMANS involved here.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      OR... it got the wrong Dashboard! The more likely case. I have seen the Line Number written on the bottom of the Dash Chassis before in an attempt to prevent this from happening, but there are HUMANS involved here.
      Well Rich, You are probably correct about mix ups on the assembly line.
      A fellow I knew years ago told me when he worked for Ford on one of their assembly lines, his line had a let's say unpopular
      Manager. The folks on the line got wind this manager had ordered a new car and it was to be built on his line. With help from a inside source upstairs, the build sheet was doctored and codes changed. Let's say what was finally assembled wasn't near anything what the manager ordered!
      If a car can get screwed up on purpose, I'm sure accidentally would certainly happen!

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

The early dash pads collapsed pretty quickly. The factory improved the pads, and replaced a lot of the early ones. (required R&R of the whole panel) Possibly a previous owner replaced the complete dash panel with one from another car. Or even just the glove box liner.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          The early dash pads collapsed pretty quickly. The factory improved the pads, and replaced a lot of the early ones. (required R&R of the whole panel) Possibly a previous owner replaced the complete dash panel with one from another car. Or even just the glove box liner.
          I am thinking the exact same thing, like the liner only. Perhaps something spilled in there and made a replacement necessary. One thing for sure, is that it is a late model being painted Inca Cream, which was a Spring color.

Craig

Comment

Build date for my Packard is March 27,1957.
            Maybe the dash had been changed? Dash pad is in good condition compared to other 57s I've seen.
            Who knows, after 57 years a lot can happen!

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Well if those are the colors they're supposed to be then you'd better get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
                Well if those are the colors they're supposed to be then you'd better get to it.
                HeHeHe, I get the hint!
                Saw your beautiful Golden Hawk in Beachwood.
                Purchased a set of NOS seat tracks for the Packard from Ed.
                We're moving forward, I hope!

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

When I return to Arizona in November (where my '57 Clipper Wagon is under restoration) I'll check my glove box as well as I'm sure this car had never been molested.
                  I'll let you know what I find.
                  Bill

Comment

Since your car was built at the end of March with a new Spring color, either the color that it was to be painted was changed after the original paperwork or the guy that was making up the paint label was not yet familiar with the new color (or the code was not yet available to him as an option).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                      When I return to Arizona in November (where my '57 Clipper Wagon is under restoration) I'll check my glove box as well as I'm sure this car had never been molested.
                      I'll let you know what I find.
                      Bill
                      Great to hear another wagon is being restored!
                      Please let us know what you find, would be interested for sure.
                      What colors is your wagon painted?

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Working...
                      X