Anybody likely to want these parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody likely to want these parts?

The first question I asked about the door latches so far has stumped our experts. Moving on, Joe has a few parts that are identified, but we don't know if there is any demand or what they are worth. In fact, he would welcome offers.

Some NOS carburetor floats.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

WOW!! Those are some oldies! '30s and '40s -era stuff. I can't imagine someone wouldn't like them.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I just used a float like that on my gas gauge. I soldered it on the wire as I felt that my new cork one was taking on fluid since the shellac was melting from the alcohal in the fuel. Worked great.

Comment

Might make a really cool wind chime?

Just sayin.

Dean.

Comment

Well...perhaps us oldtimers will not see it, but as carburetor engines become fewer and fewer, some day, parts like these will be rare as "hen's Teeth." As our engines continue to evolve with computer controlled fuel injection systems, and super hot coils, etc. The replacement parts we take for granted today, will be precious treasures for tomorrow's vintage car enthusiasts. Even small engines for ATV's, lawn mowers, and the like, are trending away from the traditional carburetors, and electro-mechanical components we are so familiar with. For years, manufacturers have kinda been willing to "humor" us vintage car buffs, by offering a limited (although dwindling) supply of obsolete parts.

Once the old technology changes to the point that there's no possible profit in supporting the old technology, I predict that it will be small closely held corporations supplying rare parts at unbelievably high prices. Of course, in 1967, when I was a young USAF airman, complaining about gasoline going up to 28 cents per gallon...I would have never believed I'd pay over a dollar a gallon, let alone multiple dollars per gallon. Walk into any average parts store today and ask for new front brake shoes for a 1960 Lark. Or, try ordering a new (or rebuilt) rear wheel cylinder for a 1955 Studebaker E-5 truck? I'll be impressed if you can even get one ordered from some obscure warehouse. Another reason to support our dedicated Studebaker vendors.

My answer to the initial question...someday, somebody will likely want those parts...desperately.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
          X