Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti's really are small cars.

I guess that's one reason I like them.

Setting at a car show yesterday chatting with a 65 Mustang owner that said, "Your Avanti isn't really all that big". Took a picture with my cell phone, sorry about the quality, next to a similar year (64 Avanti origin body for those that will say it's an 83) Mopar and he's right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0927141522.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1744756

Not the biggest show in the area but made a couple of new friends, 65 Mustang and 32 Buick Coupe (455 powered stock looking with Fatman suspension disc brakes and stock wire wheels) that looks like it did when it left the Buick assembly line in 32.

No trophy, but a $25 gift card to the best craft beer pouring bar/restaurant in the tri-city area. Judy's thrilled.

A most successful day.

Bob

$25 worth of beer is a very nice trophy! Your Avanti may look small, but it'll run a lot bigger, and surprise a lot of Mopar drivers!

Comment

Since the Avanti is on a modified Lark-type chassis, is would be a somewhat smaller vehicle as the Lark was a compact car as defined during the times. Comparing my '70 to my '02 Avanti, the '70 is longer than the '02, but significantly narrower.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

A 1963 Avanti is 192.5 inches long. This is about the same length as many current standard sedans.
        It is the Avanti width that is small. As stated, this is dictated by the frame and track of the Lark (that was dictated by the old assembly line). A 1963 Avanti is 70.4 inches wide.
        A 1963 Hawk is 204" long and 71" wide. A 1963 Lark is 184"/188" long and 71.25" wide.
        A 2001-2004 Avanti is 185.5" long and 78.25" wide. A 2007 Avanti is 187.6" long and 73.9" wide.
        Last edited by studegary; 09-28-2014, 08:35 AM. Reason: missing r
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yup!...and the Avanti has the cutest little behind I've have ever seen...(on a car, that is!)
          Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          I guess that's one reason I like them.

Setting at a car show yesterday chatting with a 65 Mustang owner that said, "Your Avanti isn't really all that big". Took a picture with my cell phone, sorry about the quality, next to a similar year (64 Avanti origin body for those that will say it's an 83) Mopar and he's right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38023[/ATTACH]

Not the biggest show in the area but made a couple of new friends, 65 Mustang and 32 Buick Coupe (455 powered stock looking with Fatman suspension disc brakes and stock wire wheels) that looks like it did when it left the Buick assembly line in 32.

No trophy, but a $25 gift card to the best craft beer pouring bar/restaurant in the tri-city area. Judy's thrilled.

A most successful day.

Bob
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            A 1963 Avanti is 192.5 inches long. This is about the same length as many curent standard sedans.
            It is the Avanti width that is small. As stated, this is dictated by the frame and track of the Lark (that was dictated by the old assembly line). A 1963 Avanti is 70.4 inches wide.
            A 1963 Hawk is 204" long and 71" wide. A 1963 Lark is 184"/188" long and 71.25" wide.
            A 2001-2004 Avanti is 185.5" long and 78.25" wide. A 2007 Avanti is 187.6" long and 73.9" wide.
            Gary: You providied statistics. A young fellow at a show asked me how much my '63 R1 weighs. That was a new question for me and was a result of my mentioning that the body was fiberglass. You and several others probbly have the answer! Then I can be perpared next time!
            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
              Gary: You providied statistics. A young fellow at a show asked me how much my '63 R1 weighs. That was a new question for me and was a result of my mentioning that the body was fiberglass. You and several others probbly have the answer! Then I can be perpared next time!
              The base shipping weight of a 1963 Avanti with an R1 is 3148 pounds. An R2 adds 55 pounds. Of course, other options, such as A/C, add more.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, thanks! I didn't mention the 4/speed which probably doesn't make a differnce.
                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

sweetolbob, my wife and I were also surprised about the actual size of the Avanti when we got it home and parked it beside our 63 Falcon Sprint ! The car cover even fit good ! I believe the longish, raised fender'd front is what threw me off. Karen thought the car was huge when she 1st walked around it looking it over in the seller's yard.

I also completely agree with Lou Van Anne about the cute butt, ha !

Comment

I've had some Alfa's & the GTJunior & GTVeloce 60-70's look a lot like Avanti -not as sculptured thou- but smaller... park your Avanti next to one of those & take a pic...
                    & a -65 Barracuda might not be that awfully much wider either.
                    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 09-29-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

wow, never would have guessed that a `Vanti would look so small next to a original generation Challenger...imagine it parked next to a new generation Challenger! How is the 3-pedal Avanti coming along? cheers, junior
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                        Yup!...and the Avanti has the cutest little behind I've have ever seen...(on a car, that is!)
                        Great... now I'm going to be self conscious every time I walk past you.
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

No pinching allowed!
                          Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                          Great... now I'm going to be self conscious every time I walk past you.
                          Lou Van Anne
                          62 Champ
                          64 R2 GT Hawk
                          79 Avanti II

Comment

Every time I park in my garage (it's 3 wide and 2 cars deep so I park behind it) I notice how narrow it is, and tall compared to todays cars. But then, my daily driver (a Mercedes CLK coupe) is fairly low.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

It is still a body on frame car so there is a limitation because of that.
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X