Studebaker Sign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Sign?

Hey everybody. I do not own a Studebaker but I do remember them. Looked at some threads and there are some nice Old cars here.

Anyway I signed up to help the wife out. She found this little sign at work and wanted me to find out about it and if it has any significant value by chance.

It measures around 18 inches long and 3 1/2 in the center across.

Not in the greatest shape, but please let me know what you know about. What era it is from too. Thanks and she will appreciate the help you can tell us..Bruce

This is not a Sign, it is the Studebaker Nameplate used on the back of the Stakebeds, Flatbeds and most Medium to Heavy Duty Studebaker Trucks when Studebaker sold the Truck Body.

It should be cast Aluminum, these are available in reproduction. They are a very nice, good looking piece to advertise a Studebaker Truck, since big Trucks have no tailgate to emboss the name into for rear identification.

It is amazing how well the Paint survived after 60 years, considering the corrosion on the rest of it.
    It MAY have been repainted.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nope it is not aluminum. It is Tin. The shiny parts are around the edges and the raised lettering is chrome.

Paint is original I am sure. I do not know about this thing in particuliar, but I do know antiques in general and the paint is original..

She actually found it in the ground so that is why the condition is what it is..Too bad.

We have not been able to find anything even close to it researching the internet.I kinda just figured it was a little advertising sign that hung in a dealership or something. Maybe a promotional thing they gave out if you bought one of their Cars or Trucks.Thanks
      Last edited by carbineone; 09-25-2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I think Studebaker International still sells those for about $45.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I did not find anything on the website. Do you know where I could find it on there. I assume you are saying they sell a repro of this thing? This is in no way a modern repro for sure. Whatever it is for, it was not made anywhere near recent..Thanks

Comment

That is not a repo therefore it must be highly valuable. I've never seen a tin one. cheers jimmijim
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Studebaker International Inc. sells a remake of that name plate. In their 2014 catalog, look under browse by catagory, then click on related items, then go to item 255. Or you this link:

Comment

nice sign

here is a nice sign I saw at a local swap meet recently. Price was $7K
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
                  There is some reproductions on eBay.
                  Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                  Fort Worth, TX

Comment

From Bill's page....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
                      Hi Barry I take it you bought the sign for 7k??? Is that a picture of it sitting in your driveway? Or are you the guy still trying to sell it?

Dean.

Comment

Thanks everybody, the one on the rear of that Truck sure looks like it..

Maybe they made them with both aluminum and tin I guess..

Comment

Hey carbineone...I see that you are new here and it looks like no one has taken the time to welcome you to our Studebaker world. So, first of all, WELCOME! I suspect you stumbled across our Studebaker forum while attempting to research this Studebaker logo. You may be merely web surfing and not intending to hang around here. Whether you know it or not, the Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC) is one of the largest vintage car organizations in existence (dedicated to a single brand/manufacturer). The legacy of Studebaker as a corporation dates back to pre-civil war, and the family's blacksmith shop before that.

Do a little more digging, and perhaps you'll find enough information to ignite your passions and lead you to join us. Since you already have a Studebaker artifact...all you need is the rest of the truck. Just think of all the "Carbines" you could haul around.

I bought a couple of the reproductions that have been mentioned. They couldn't be too expensive, or I wouldn't have bought one. I have not used them for anything, as of yet, but if the inspiration hits...no telling where they will end up being displayed.

Again, welcome. If you decide to sell the ornament...Ebay should get you the biggest audience. Thanks for not tossing the item.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks. Why I am not the owner of a Studebaker, I have always loved the Vintage automobiles. My oldest ever owned was a 29 Chevy with suicide doors. I have owned alot of Vintage Cars up till around 1970.

I have a hatred for the newer stuff. Last older one I owned was a 1965 Buick Skylark 2 Door HT. I drive a little 89 Toyota 4x4 Pickup right now. Not really a classic but dependable. I am always keeping my eye out for another older Car though.

Really miss the Skylark.. Love those pedal Cars you have to match the real thing..

Friend has a Studebaker. I think something like a Hawk maybe? Really neat car. He did not know anything about this emblem though.

I will not let her put it on Ebay. I dislike them and that is putting it nicely. I would give it away first I think.

My wife helps a Friend of mine and his Wife do some Tree jobs occasionally and that is how she found it..Would never toss it out like those people did..

Comment

Check it with a magnet. It looks like chrome-plated iron to me. Tin does corrode, but it doesn't rust. This one looks like it has rust on it.

Mark L
                              Mark L

Comment

Working...
                              X