Your chance to own a horse drawn Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your chance to own a horse drawn Studebaker

In the very near future I will be losing the storage space where I currently house three of my horse drawn Studebakers. While I hate to part with them, I currently have no where else to suitably store them on a long term basis. Having a horse is not a requirement and there are many advantages to these over the later cars and trucks with the best being able to tow them with your modern, comfortable air conditioned vehicle. Two of these have been shown at international meets and due to the lack of competition there is a good chance of winning or placing in the class. You never have to add gas or oil, the brakes never go down, there are no oil leaks and the battery never goes dead.

The first is a 2 board farm wagon which came from Nebraska. I do not believe the seat is original and the rims are hand forged. I am asking $3,800.00 which represents my investment.

Not the unique tailgate that opens at the rear.

The second is a side spring wagon with a removable canopy with fringe. This wagon has 2 seats (either of which can be removed) and a fold down tailgate. I am asking $2,750.00 for it.

The lamp shown in the pictures will not be sold with the wagon.

The last is a nicely restored 1904 doctor's buggy that was featured at the 2008 Lancaster meet and has been on a Turning Wheels cover. I am asking $3,900.00 for it.

All have the appropriate shafts/poles included and are located in the Charlottesville, VA area. I am not currently available to show them, but could make arrangements to do so with a family member for an interested party. Either PM me through the site or send an e-mail directly to guidosalvage at yahoo dot com.

Wouldn't mind the buggy, however the shipping would kill me! as to the Spring Wagon, that's a 'Three-Spring' wagon, not a side-spring. A side-spring would have three to four reaches and the springs would go the length of the body. Nonetheless, that's a very nice vehicle.

I wonder, if one takes a horse-drawn vehicle to a meet, are they allowed to bring the horse as well?
    Last edited by studeclunker; 09-23-2014, 11:55 PM. Reason: remove sig. line
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
      I wonder, if one takes a horse-drawn vehicle to a meet, are they allowed to bring the horse as well?
      Well...why not? If the other vehicles can bring their "power plant." Why not the buggy/wagon?

As to the wagon's being offered...I'd be proud to have either one. However, my wife is horrified at the thought. "Cause she's heard me say before, that If I had one, " I'd have it reassembled in the great room ... complete with some kind of comfy cushions, for comfort, as my new perch for watching TV!"

Around here, the comedy never ends. I've always wanted a horse drawn Studebaker...However, in this instance...I'm afraid that the "Marital Reciprocity Purchase" would include paying lawyers and court fees.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well John, if seating is desired, a sleigh might do the job just as well and be far less... of a space hog.Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1692206 Not only that, you'd even have some headroom. With the paint jobs Sleighs typically have the wife might even be persuaded to cooperate. Problem is, I've never seen a Studebaker sleigh and don't even know if the company made them.

Guido, where was this picture taken?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1904buggy044.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1692207

That looks a lot like the entrance to a Carriage House.
        Last edited by studeclunker; 09-24-2014, 10:34 AM. Reason: fonts
        Ron Smith

Comment

, I've never seen a Studebaker sleigh and don't even know if the company made them.

Yes, Studebaker made sleighs. I ran across a few when I was actively searching for a Studebaker wagon including one a forum member here bought. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Actually, they did make sleighs.
            A little historical note, there was a time when the roads were so bad in places like Ohio, Indiana and Illinois that many people used sleighs rather than wagons during the wet season because they did not get stuck. This was well before Studebaker was in business, however.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Well there ya go John! A nice Portland or Swell-bodied Sleigh would look beautiful and your wife might even be persuaded to cooperate in your interior decorating aspirations!
              Here's an example (no maker listed by A-D Buggy):
              Click image for larger version

Name:	raber sleigh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1692208
              Last edited by studeclunker; 09-24-2014, 10:46 AM. Reason: remove sig. line
              Ron Smith

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Well...why not? If the other vehicles can bring their "power plant." Why not the buggy/wagon?
                Yes.... but that would throw you into the Modified category during judging because the power plant was not "original." I suggest finding a horse skeleton and challenging the judging staff to prove it was not the original power plant.

Comment

Guido, where was this picture taken?
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]37961[/ATTACH]

That looks a lot like the entrance to a Carriage House.
                  Ron,

I was coming back from a local Studebaker meet and drove into Windsor Farms in Richmond, the blue blood neighborhood. I unloaded the buggy and positioned it in front of this house and took some pictures. There is a carriage house there, the one with the turning leaves was taken across the street. There is a church next door, a couple of walkers asked if I was there for a wedding.
                  Last edited by Guido; 09-24-2014, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobWaitz View Post
                    Yes.... but that would throw you into the Modified category during judging because the power plant was not "original." I suggest finding a horse skeleton and challenging the judging staff to prove it was not the original power plant.
                    Well...I disagree...(in a friendly way, of course) Back then, no vehicle came from the factory with a "power plant." Unlike today's vehicles, you had to supply your own Horse, mule, or ox. Really, if we want to get real picky 'bout "original"...then we'd need to check for original plugs, hoses, belts, water pumps, and all the other nit-pick'n ways we find to make one another miserable.

Speaking of "Original," and "horse-drawn"...years ago, we had a SDC gathering down in Greenwood, SC. A rather sophisticated gentleman arrived driving a beautiful Studebaker carriage driven by a team of exotic looking horses (I think, either a Russian or Polish breed, but can't recall.) Following the carriage was a truck occupied by some of his employees. While he was at the event, they cared for the horses, polished the brass fittings, and attended to the rig while the owner visited with our motor vehicles. Also, at that meet, was some very expensive "old-iron," including a Lincoln Zephyr, and one of those rare classic Cords. I got to ride in the Cord.

But yes...as to the Carriage...It and the horses were the stars of the event!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Boy, I wish you were closer Guido. Someone should take you up on your offers quickly. Love the Doctor's Buggy. Then, the Farm Wagon, and the Side Spring. Only problem, I don't know where I'd put them.

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
                        Boy, I wish you were closer Guido. Someone should take you up on your offers quickly. Love the Doctor's Buggy. Then, the Farm Wagon, and the Side Spring. Only problem, I don't know where I'd put them.
                        If it helps, I could probably get one to Lexington, KY, which is only 5 hours away.

Comment

Working...
                        X