64 Hawk VIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Hawk VIN

I have recently picked up a 64 Hawk GT. I'm having trouble with decoding the VIN. First what does the VIN plate look like. Mine is shiny chrome on drivers post. The number is 64V 8707. I know the V is for a V8 259 but I'm not sure how valid the 8707 is. Can I get some examples of good VIN's?

True VINs were not issued until later years. For a 1964, the Serial Number is usually used for a VIN (vehicle identification number).
    The S/N is on a stainless (not chrome) plate welded to the A-pillar between the driver's door hinges.
    64V 8707 is a valid number for a 1964 V8 Studebaker. They started with 64V 1001 (for South Bend build).
    The V in the S/N means a V8. It is only when the V is in the engine number that it means a 259.
    Your Hawk may have one of three V8 engines, but they are all 289s.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It means very simply, that your Car is a 1964 Year Model V8 Studebaker, the 8707th. Studebaker V8 built for that year Model, and that includes ALL 1964 Stude. V8 Car Models.

Send your Check and request for the Production Order on 64V8707 to get the REAL story to the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN.

Your "Body Tag" on the right side of the firewall will show the numerical sequence of only 64V-K6 GT Hawks on the Body Line only, not final assembly, that is what the Car Serial shows.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        It means very simply, that your Car is a 1964 Year Model V8 Studebaker, the 8707th. Studebaker V8 built for that year Model, and that includes ALL 1964 Stude. V8 Car Models.

Send your Check and request for the Production Order on 64V8707 to get the REAL story to the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN.

Your "Body Tag" on the right side of the firewall will show the numerical sequence of only 64V-K6 GT Hawks on the Body Line only, not final assembly, that is what the Car Serial shows.
        Actually the car is the 7707th V8 car off the line. Serial numbers star with 64V1001

Comment

Yes, of course that is CORRECT, the 7707th. '63 South Bend V8. Where is our Decimal Dude when you need him?
          I forgot to do the Math. DAH!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X