interesting Packard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting Packard

A 56 400 with a manual trans, Predictor type rear fender treatment. (not mine)

Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Interesting is a good word. I prefer the side with hubcaps.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I like that car, and would drive it as is, but eventually the floor shift would have to go, just doesn't fit the Packard image. Ultramatic is not the answer, but Bendtsen now makes an adapter to put a GM 200R/700R behind the Packard V8.

Comment

My laptop may not function after seeing this. I drooled all over it. I really love it! The standard shift makes it very interesting.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

If it were local, I'd be there looking at it this morning. The back story needs to be told!

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Beautiful automobile, but as stated above the manual transmission does not go with it.

Comment

Should be a big hit at the "Greaserama"!!

Comment

I really like the idea of the manual shift Packard and the floor shift would suit me fine!!
                Could a four speed be bolted to that bell housing? If so, what kind would work?
                Jack would probably know the answer to this!

Comment

Originally posted by R2GTHAWK View Post
                  I really like the idea of the manual shift Packard and the floor shift would suit me fine!!
                  Could a four speed be bolted to that bell housing? If so, what kind would work?
                  Jack would probably know the answer to this!
                  Nothing out there is a bolt-in, but many manual trannies can be made to fit.

With the appropriate input bearing extension, the Ford TopLoader or the Ford version of the Borg-Warner T10 can be used. If the input shaft is shortened, the AMC version of the T10 can also fit.

Over the years, I've also installed TKO500 5-speed and the T56 six speed.

Bottom line, the Packard manual shift bellhousing is like the Stude V8, a Ford pattern and with careful measurement and parts swapping most anything can be made to work. However, as Joe Hall will attest, it's difficult to beat the B-W T85 overdrive. That's what I'm running in my Packard-Powered Stude pickup.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                    I like that car, and would drive it as is, but eventually the floor shift would have to go, just doesn't fit the Packard image. Ultramatic is not the answer, but Bendtsen now makes an adapter to put a GM 200R/700R behind the Packard V8.
                    I agree with your comments on the Ultramatic, and the idea of a floor shift in a senior Packard being a no-no. This reminds me of a '55 Caribbean convertible a friend owned years ago. A '55 Clipper stick setup was installed in it to beat the ongoing Ultramatic problems...but the installer went with a floor shift instead of going 'all the way' and installing the column shift. The Caribbean drove well, but the floor shifter seemed SO out of place in a luxury cruiser like that!

Comment

I agree. When I rebuilt the trans in our 58 Packard Hawk, we took out the floor shifter and reverted it back to column shift. Some cars don't look right with a lever sticking out of the floor. To me it conveys hot rod, not luxury.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                        I agree. When I rebuilt the trans in our 58 Packard Hawk, we took out the floor shifter and reverted it back to column shift. Some cars don't look right with a lever sticking out of the floor. To me it conveys hot rod, not luxury.
                        It's all a matter of perspective and opinion. Many very high dollar '50s and '60s European luxury sedans came with floor shift manual transmissions; i.e. Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Bentley, Facel-Vega, Pegaso, Lancia, Alfa-Romeo, Rover, AC, Bristol, Lagonda and Talbot-Lago.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                        X