Champion automatic to standard swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion automatic to standard swap

I have a question for the old time mechanics in the group. I just bought a low mileage and long neglected 54 Champion automatic car to get the engine for Old Spot, my 52 Champion. The 52 is a three speed with overdrive. I know that on the later V-8 engines the flywheel bolts must be changed when going from automatic to standard, but is this going to be true on the 52-53 six? My parts book does not mention automatic drive in the section that shows the flywheel bolts. Does anybody have experience with the Champion engine change over? [?]

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
    since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

You should have no problem. The Champion six has a thicker crankshaft flange with threaded holes, and the bolt go in from the rear. You probably should use the rear engine plate that matches your transmission, and dial-indicate the bellhousing for concentricity.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks Gord, I have had Old Spot for a long time , but I have never had to mess with the clutch or flywheel before and I don't have the donor car here yet. I wanted to be ready so I didn't get half way in and find some problem that held me up.

Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Gord??? Where in the heck did that come from? The Champions I've dealt with sure don't have threaded holes in the aft crank flange.[B)] Both 6s and 8s use the same bolts at the rear and the ones for an automatic are shorter than those for a stick shift car.
        The pan and rear main cap have to come off to swap them.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs you just rained on my parade, but I guess since I will have the engine out and paint it before I install it won't make much difference either way.[:I]

Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Mr. Biggs you just rained on my parade, but I guess since I will have the engine out and paint it before I install it won't make much difference either way.[:I]

Biggs is right. I'm really sorry to have led you astray on that. I was playing with Champion engines today, and clearly they use crank flange bolts the same as do the V8s. NOT the exact same bolts, I don't believe, but the same length issues with auto vs. manual.

I know WHY I made that error. I looked at an OHV six crank stored in my barn, and it indeed does have a thick flange with threaded holes. I don't know if that particular change came about with the adoption of the large-journal crank in '55, or with the Lark 170 in '59, or even if it was only late-model OHV sixes with full-flow oil filters.

Comment

OK Gord, we'll SHARE the credit here. You're correct in that the change to 185 cu. inches saw the adoption of threaded holes in the crank.[:I] This required different bolts as well and continued thru '64.
              51 thru 54 tho, 6s and 8s used the same bolts in the same fashion - which maintains the rain on 52-fan's parade.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X