Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little things that make a trip memorable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little things that make a trip memorable.

I was reflecting on the trip Joe and I just made to Branson for the Orphan Car Show and thought I would share some of the little moments that make trips in an old car so neat. I was following, so sometimes I saw things Joe would have missed. His bright yellow Transtar would catch people's attention and then I would see the reaction.
    One of the strangest happened on a long grade where there was a passing lane. I saw a man walking out into the middle of the highway with his arms extended and his hands slightly raised. It was only as I got closer that I could see he was taking a picture with his cell phone. Lucky for him there were no other vehicles right then. We had several people take pictures from other cars or when we were stopped.
    Once Joe pulled into a parking lot rather suddenly and stopped because the loop on his shoe lace had gotten around the accelerator pedal. Another time, I had to signal for a stop because I rolled my window down to adjust the side mirror and couldn't get it back up. This was in the morning and my arm got cold from the chilly air.
    At our fuel stop in Harrison, Arkansas, my 52 refused to start and Joe drove off up the street without knowing I couldn't follow. Lucky for me some fellows who were getting fuel gave me a push and the car fired up. By the time Joe realised that I wasn't behind him I was already catching up. After that, I always started my car first before he got in the pickup, but I had no more trouble.
    Of course, there are the other things. Several people in cars or on motorcycles waved or gave thumbs up. People at stops would ask questions or make comments. One man where we ate lunch was telling us about an uncle in South Dakota who always owned Studebaker trucks and when he found out that I had lived in the state, we had a nice little conversation. Once, on a 4 lane stretch, I had a car overtake me and then disappear in my blind spot. I kept waitling for it to pass and almost decided they had turned off without me noticing. I leaned forward to get a different angle on the mirror and I could see them trailing along. After a bit more, the car came on past and the lady on the passenger side was smiling and waving. I guess they had been trying to read the name on the 52's trunk base.
    All of our problems were small and the Studebakers ran great. The 52 ran cool with good oil pressure and climbed hills with ease. I'm ready to go again.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

LOL. Try entering the U.S. from Canada, with a 55 Stude on the trailer and telling the border guard "I'm going to the races". Disbelief...until I showed them January's TW cover
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thanks for sharing, I have found road trips in a Studebaker to be much more than just the miles traveled. I encourage everyone to get theirs out on the highway, nothing else like it.
      Last edited by Pat Dilling; 09-15-2014, 03:58 PM.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Yep, be careful of the blind spot, as lookers like to hoover there to get a better/longer look. I try to be mindful, and not forget they are there.

Comment

In 1970 I had a 40 Commander. I thought it so OLD I treated it like it was made of eggshells. Nothing was wrong with it,but I was afraid to drive it farther than I wanted to walk back. Just because it 30 years old. I was only 21 and thought anything 30 years old was ancient.

Fast forward to 1987. The Wife and I are cruising down US 1, 70 mph in my 57 Silverhawk on a weekend get away trip to Florida,300 miles round trip. Not a care in the world,And it dawned on me... This car we are riding in is 30 years old!But by then I was 38 and 30 wasn't old anymore.
          I still have that Silverhawk and if I was to take a notion to go to Florida in an unairconditioned car, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it down There.
          Last edited by rockinhawk; 09-15-2014, 06:07 PM.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
            In 1970 I had a 40 Commander. I thought it so OLD I treated it like it was made of eggshells. Nothing was wrong with it,but I was afraid to drive it farther than I wanted to walk back. Just because it 30 years old. I was only 21 and thought anything 30 years old was ancient.

Fast forward to 1987. The Wife and I are cruising down US 1, 70 mph in my 57 Silverhawk on a weekend get away trip to Florida,300 miles round trip. Not a care in the world,And it dawned on me... This car we are riding in is 30 years old!But by then I was 38 and 30 wasn't old anymore.
            I still have that Silverhawk and if I was to take a notion to go to Florida in an unairconditioned car, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it down There.
            Put AC in that Stude and ride in comfort! While living in the California desert for six years, to truly enjoy the Studes, AC became mandatory in every one, including the 56J, and remains so today.
            Properly set up, it works well, and does not hamper MPG or anything else. Gotta approach it as a package though, and include fan & radiator upgrade. It also helps to tint the windows, and seal up the rear quarter windows on 'K' bodied Studes.

Comment

A month ago, my wife & I returned to Canada from Post Falls Idaho Can-Am meet in our Avanti through a very remote border crossing (no duty free-one agent) into British Columbia from Washington state. The border guard was so enamored with our car that he sat and chatted with us for about 20 minutes about our car and the Studebaker history. I don't think he even questioned us about what we were bringing back (booze etc) into Canada.
              It's a great distraction so I guess we should use it for more subversive transport.
              Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                A month ago, my wife & I returned to Canada from Post Falls Idaho Can-Am meet in our Avanti through a very remote border crossing (no duty free-one agent) into British Columbia from Washington state. The border guard was so enamored with our car that he sat and chatted with us for about 20 minutes about our car and the Studebaker history. I don't think he even questioned us about what we were bringing back (booze etc) into Canada.It's a great distraction so I guess we should use it for more subversive transport.Bill
                "Runnin'Shine" in a Studebaker? Has that been done before? When I finished my 57 the first time in 1985, I had a friend whose Dad was a retired Ga,HiWay patrolman. He wanted to see my car.They came over and parked behind the Hawk.The Old Patrolman got out and said"That's the way I remember them. I was always looking at the rear end." He told a story about a Fella that hauled Moonshine with a Golden Hawk. GHP was driving 56 Fords,and could not catch him. They finally boxed him in and ran him off the road.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                X