R2s/California Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2s/California Gas

After six months and almost an additional $10000 in parts/repairs I hope my R2 64 Hawk (aka known as "The Money Pit" ) is finally at least roadworthy. What grade gas are you fellow California R2 drivers burning? Oh, buy the way, I'm still looking for a gas gauge.
    Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 09-12-2014, 02:38 PM.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

The highest octane you can find. When the boost comes in, that won't be enough, but race gas does get expensive.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Has anyone tried the various octane boosters?
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I use a mix of 100 LL avgas and premium ethanol laced pump gas, cheaper than race gas. Avgas is very stable so it's a good winter fuel for folks who have to hang their car up in the winter, it will stay stable for over a year.

Comment

Lou
          I've had an issue with my Dad's R-1, turns out it was more electrical than fuel. I'm running 93 at present and all is good. You might try some octane boost but I think the best bet would be to find ethanol-free gas. I've used that and it stays stable longer w/o additives. I also try to exercise the cars in the fleet. You had first hand experience at how the wagon ( 289, AFB, Dual Exhaust ) runs on regular pump gas at Dover. Let's see some pics! I'll look for a spare gas gauge. Good Luck!
          Rob in PA.

Comment

Sunoco 260, but that was a while back.

Comment

It's not a Studebaker, but...I have a friend who owns a 289 Cobra which was hot rodded, 12.5:1 cr, back when it was new. He runs avgas @ $6/gallon

Comment

92/93 here in SoCal.
                Octane boosters do a LITTLE, but aren't worth the money. I've tried several over the years. My recommendation on boosters, unless it's expensive and made by a "Race Gas manufacturer"...save your money..

My little Lark (259 powered) runs fine on the 92/93 gas...even to the point of having the ignition timing so high, that the starter grunts a little (even with a new battery). It's the only way it'll run half way decent (high timing).

Mike

P.s. - IF...you need more octane for higher compression...mix in "real" race gas. AV gas (airplane fuel) is made for the altitudes that "airplanes" drive...which in "most" cases is much higher than what cars drive in...!
                There's a reason it's not called airplane/high compression car fuel...!

Comment

Avgas works as I've used it in my Studebakers with good results. The only avgas that is available is 100 octane low lead which is meant mostly for general aviation aircraft that fly at lower altitudes. 115/145 octane purple avgas is no longer available which was meant for high power engines flying at high altitudes. Mixing avgas to pump gas at around 5 or 6 gallons per tank will raise the octane enough to stop detonation in most engines. Avgas is expensive and it does have lead in it which is not legal for use in automobiles and it does run around 6 bucks per gallon and you have to know someone at an airport that will sell it to you. The positive side to avgas is that is has a shelf life of a couple of years. Bud

Comment

All "octane boosters' sold in stores are snake oil in a can:-(.......until big brother wakes from his slumber........you can get real TEL in a can.......contact wild bill Corvette in Mass.........."Octane Supreme".......
                    Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                    Has anyone tried the various octane boosters?
                    59.4 grams of Tetraethyl LEAD per Gallon
                    Higher Octane to Match Your Requirements
                    Protects Vital Engine Components
                    Increase Horsepower & Performance
                    Lower cost than Racing Fuel

I have used this for two yrs in my R-1 and no matter how hot the summer temps, no matter what throttle position, she NEVER pings!

Comment

Here in the Land of the Fruits and the Nuts we have three grades to choose from: 89 Regular, 91 Super of 93 Premium. My racing days are behind me, just want my Hawk to run good. So California R2 drivers, which have you been using?
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                      X