Packard Main Recovery ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Main Recovery ?

After decades of "confused" ownership it appears recovery at the old Detroit Packard factory wasteland is finally underway. It apparently includes recovery/restoration of the 4-story corporate office building and the restoration of the famous P-A-C-K-A-R-D bridge crossing E. Grand Avenue.

According to the latest information, renewal has started with the debris cleanup. Winning property bidder Fernando Palazuelo has retained the services of Albert Kahn Associates, namesake of the original site architect, on the site plans.

Is there anything left there to restore? In photos I've seen online, it appears that the "urban miners" have stripped anything of value from the Admin building and smashed everything else. Stairwells full of rubble that once was plaster, bare walls where marble slabs were pried off, vertical trenches where the copper piping and wiring was dug out.

I appreciate attempting to preserve some history, but what exactly is there left to preserve?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I suppose it has something to do with "lest we forget" what made the motor city. Making the administration building usable as a Packard industrial landmark is kind of cool. Similarly, 50-years from now as people might observe that Bridge with P-A-C-A-R-D want to learn more about what Packard was, and meant to the generations of working people who raised families thanks to those Packard paychecks.

One of the things I took away from spending time in the United Kingdom was how our country is so quick in tearing usable buildings down. I do understand renovation can be least cost affective as opposed to new. Amazing how the Brits still use houses with thatch roofs as homes older than our country (not referring to castle's).

Comment

Working...
      X