T-10 vs 700r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-10 vs 700r

What do you like more for a Studebaker 289 and why?

Originally posted by 57transtar guy View Post
    On the Tech Talk page and more apples-to-apples:

"What do you like more for a Studebaker 289" and why?"

A T85 3-speed with overdrive, a T10 4-speed or a T5/TKO-500 5-speed overdrive?

A B-W Powershift 3-speed automatic or a TH700R4 4-speed overdrive automatic?

So, yes, go with the overdrive every time.

jack viens
    PackardV8

Comment

I like 4-Speeds. I always have. Yes, they are noisier (engine noise) and the revs are higher, but a 1 to 1 is no different than other cars from the 50's thru the 70's. As for an automatic, I have a crush on the 700R4/4L60/4L60E. I really like the 'E' because it eliminates the TV cable. The drawback is the expense for the controller.
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

In my Avanti II I installed a Doug Nash 5 speed. With a 3:00 to 1 rear it accelerates through the first 4 gears as if it was equipped with 4:10 rears, but cruises with the 3:00 in 5th. Kind of the best of both worlds.

Comment

I like 4-Speeds. I always have. Yes, they are noisier (engine noise) and the revs are higher, but a 1 to 1 is no different than other cars from the 50's thru the 70's.
          That Studebaker almost universally used the Borg-Warner 3-speed overdrive transmissions, essentially a wide-ratio 4-speed, was for me the best thing they had going over the other manufacturers for whom it was rare or non-existent.

On those Stude cars and trucks without overdrive, highway noise and high RPMs are the #1 complaint I hear. Our brandx drivers with double overdrive trannies, wind-tunnel-smoothed bodies and lots of sound insulation have changed most people's perception of what they're willing to tolerate.

(Of course, once the noise is reduced, then AC and PS becomes the next necessities; lack of moral fiber is everywhere now. ;>)

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Decide if your going to put money into changing the rear end then that will depend on driveability and smooth operation of the transmission. In my 53 Coupe, I've had several different transmissions behind my R-2 over the years. The T-10 4 speed..........hated the granny first gear and high rev in 4th gear. Later, with the T-5, seems I was shifting all the time and was jerky. So after think about it, I went back to my original good ole reliable, smooth running 3 speed with overdrive. Didn't appreciate how good that tranny was until I put it back in. LOVE IT. Now as far as the 700R4 with lock up torque converter in my 54 Couple. That is nice but requires tons of modifications.

Comment

If you go with the automatic, think seriously about the "laterdesign" 4 speed auto, the T200-4R.
              This trans. is lighter and a little smaller thAn the T-700-R4. It's also got much better gear ratios, just as strong. It can....be made to hold over 1000hp by the right builder.

Got a coupla in my Studes, behing both Chevy AND Stude engines.

Mike

Comment

As much fun as an eager, fairly muscular engine is, and how it can transform almost any passenger sedan into a war chariot, the transmission can sure make or break the combo. 2 buddies 600 miles and few years apart put TooMuchCam into their stock rides. 58 Chevy 283 with 2-spd powerglide, and a "square" T-bird with 430 and auto. The Chevy seemed like it would reach about 90 mph in first but was so pale off the line the other guy was out of site and already drinking beer at the party by then. The t-bird was completely undriveable in snow, as the required high idle speed and tight stock converter would snatch the tires loose the moment Drive was selected. I don't recall if just driving around they were much better.

Comment

I love the new spelling of your name Jack.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand your question since you are not comparing automatics, nor sticks. As for sticks, the old side-lever boxes cannot compete with modern internal rail trannies. My suggestion is to go with a modern T-5 variant... take your pick, based on bucks and configuration. There are a lot of more options since I put my first one behind a Stude in the early '90s. If you've room and really have a need for two overdrives, go with one of the T-56 variants. Just my nickel's worth...

Comment

Originally posted by 57transtar guy View Post
                      IIRC, you have a 700R in that Transtar. When it comes to drive-ability, it would be hard to beat that 700R. Are you actually contemplating swapping it out? If so, what would be the reason(s).

Comment

Joe

I'm not looking to change my Transtar but I am looking at buying another Studebaker. The one I'm looking at has a 289 but stock transmission and since these are my only modes of transportation I will certainly add TBI, disc brakes, AC, updated cooling system and a way of cruising down the highway.

My 67 mustang had too much horsepower with the 351 but fun to drive with the tremic 5 speed.

Comment

Working...
                        X