Kenny Rogers was so correct!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny Rogers was so correct!

Remember the song lyric "ya got to know when to fold 'em"?

Well this past Sunday I was out on LI at a very large car show located on the grounds of MacArthur Airport.
    Much conversation concerning Studebaker etc..........one fellow walks up with three of his buds and things are going along smoothly........till I pop the hood of the Avanti.......he turns to tell his friends........Studebaker put Ford engines in Avantis.........as they stopped their V8 in the 1958 model year!

I politely said that was incorrect, and that Studebaker engines were utilized through the 1964 model year.
    He looks at me, insulted that I "questioned" his superior automotive knowledge, and tells his buds "let's move on"

Now I could have stood silent and nodded my head in agreement as to the 1958 statement........but as with most things today...........PC is just killing this country.

So as I said ya have to know when to fold em.........

I suppose you could'a said that it was those danged Ford engines that killed the business!

I enjoy the blank stare and glazed eyes when I tell folks that there was a Studebaker vehicle a half-century before there was a Ford.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I might have asked them where Studebaker got their 289 in 1956. No, I wouldn't have thought of it......too much pressure.

Comment

Most times when I have my '56 Golden Hawk out I'm asked about the supercharger.

Comment

They seem amazed when I say they were in business from 1852-1966.......the only thing I appreciate about the Ford 289 is that at one point the hi-po version cranked out 271 HP!
          Originally posted by jclary View Post
          I suppose you could'a said that it was those danged Ford engines that killed the business!

I enjoy the blank stare and glazed eyes when I tell folks that there was a Studebaker vehicle a half-century before there was a Ford.

Comment

After a few years of getting my feet wet showing our Studebakers, we put together a brief history of the Studebakers, and a short profile and pictures on our M5 and Starlight Coupe to show along with the vehicles.
            Getting people to at least read or look at the photos and statements is a challenge, but once they do they seem to appreciate Studebakers more.
            We still get a few negative comments, but for the most part the people support the fact that we are keeping Studebaker alive.

Comment

Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
              Most times when I have my '56 Golden Hawk out I'm asked about the supercharger.
              I've been asked a few times if my 61 Hawk "still has the supercharger?" I just get that blank stare when I try to explain that they didn't have superchargers in '59 through '62...
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by alaipairod View Post
                After a few years of getting my feet wet showing our Studebakers, we put together a brief history of the Studebakers, and a short profile and pictures on our M5 and Starlight Coupe to show along with the vehicles.
                Getting people to at least read or look at the photos and statements is a challenge, but once they do they seem to appreciate Studebakers more.
                We still get a few negative comments, but for the most part the people support the fact that we are keeping Studebaker alive.
                I think that is a great idea. Do you mind if I steal it? I'm thinking of perhaps writing up some salient "Bullet Points". Ha ha.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

You have trouble with motors , I have trouble with people wondering who made Studebaker .
                  Randy Wilkin
                  1946 M5 Streetrod
                  Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Last night at the final 2014 cruise-in for the '63 Avanti at Ocean Beach State Park a fellow walks up and says, "That has a Chevy engine doesn't it?" I told him no and that it had the original Studebaker engine and then explained that Studebaker used Chevy engines during the last two years of production in Canada after they ceased making cars in South Bend. I was not sure he was convinced. The spectators do get a little upset if they have buddies present who overhear the discussion. They don't want their fountain of car knowledge contradicted!

Misinformation comes up all the time on Studebakers. A friend has a Studebaker carb on his 1922 Nash. I had some questions on that one!
                    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

If a person has a genuine interest, I pass out "The Studebaker Story". Copies are available. Ed Reynolds from S.I. sent me a good supply. As for Kenny being "correct", don't take a reference for plastic surgery from him.
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

and know when to RUN.......
                        My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                        sigpic
                        Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                        in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                          If a person has a genuine interest, I pass out "The Studebaker Story". Copies are available.
                          By this do you mean the comic book? How much are they to buy?

Comment

When Ford "experts" make a comment about your Ford engine, ask them about the location of the distributor. Maybe you could be sitting next to a Mustang with open hood.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The Studebaker Story is a 8 1/2 by 11, black and white "hand out" folded in three. It gives a concise history of the cars and the company and the SDC contact info. It should be available from SDC, the Museum, or in my case. Studebaker International.
                              Last edited by warrlaw1; 09-09-2014, 09:51 AM.
                              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                              X