Crankcase ventilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Crankcase ventilation

I had my 170 CID OHC 6 cyl. rebuilt. Can anyone tell me where to get the crankcase ventilation parts (connect at crankcase to manifold). My '64 Champ was built in August of 1963 near the end of production. I 'm told there were some modifications being made to this system because federal standards were kicking in. I have a PCV valve that was removed from the engine, but it doesn't give me any clues as to how the crankcase venting system was configured. I have checked my shop manual and parts catalog (Studebaker, published 1963) but the part shown does not look like the piece sticking out of my crankcase. I asked another member to take a pic of the manifolds side of his engine. I hope that may give me some clue.

There should be a tube coming out of the Rear Valve Door to connect to the Intake Manifold fitting with the PCV valve in-line.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Depending on exactly what you want I have had to build a system myself. I was able to get the rear side valve cover with the threaded boss welded in place, as per 1964. The piping coming from that was hard to work out but it is the same thread as large diameter truck brake tubing ends. That I picked up from AutoZone. I bent it to come up and face the correct way for the PCV valve to fit before it went to the carb. I used this on a 1959 Champion six and then an OHV six from a 63. You can more than likely get all the parts from a vendor or used from a forum member or used parts vendor but as for your chassis parts book it should be on page 14, plate 01-14.

If you still cant locate it let me know and I will see if I can get a scan of it to you.
      Len

Comment

I think I have the welded in place boss. What do I do next? Do you have a pic of the system you built?

Thanks,

Rick

Comment

Then you will need a piece of 3/8 Fuel/Emissions Hose to a PCV Valve to connect to the Intake Manifold.

This should be pictured in your Chassis Parts Catalog and the Shop Manual.

Just make your setup look as close as possible to the Engine Pic in the front of the Engine Section of the Parts Catalog.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe I've figured it out. If I could find out how to post a pic with my questions it would help.

Comment

Originally posted by RSykes View Post
              I believe I've figured it out. If I could find out how to post a pic with my questions it would help.
              Below is the 1964 side cover installed on a 59 Flathead.

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

The link below is with the same cover on a 1963 OHV with the manifold etc...

As you can see it isn't rocket science. Just use a truck brake tube and bend it to the angle you need and route the rest with some flexible hose and a PCV valve. If you can get some original photos you could make it look original but I just wanted to make it work.

Len.

Comment

That 4 barrel Holley on the 170 engine, is familiar. I used one a number of years ago to replace the Quadrajet on my Avanti. It made the car run like a sewing machine and get much better mileage... I didn't know they were still manufactured..
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                  That 4 barrel Holley on the 170 engine, is familiar. I used one a number of years ago to replace the Quadrajet on my Avanti. It made the car run like a sewing machine and get much better mileage... I didn't know they were still manufactured..
                  I was able to pick it up a few years ago, rebuilt, on eBay, just like most of the carbs I used. I liked to lookout for old shops clearing out the stock that layed on the shelf for decades but that is harder to find these days.

EBay went from a stage where it was hard to find any listing for Studebakers, or anything else, to now, where it is has come full circle, where it is hard to find a listing from an individual, non-retailer, cleaning out some old stuff, or a retailer moving some old stock at pennies on the dollar. Just a small rant. One can still find deals but it does take some time to sift through all the crap.

Len.

Comment

Thanks. This helps a lot. Where did you get the PCV valve? I took a Carter PCV valve off. No auto parts place can match it or recommend a replacement.

Comment

Working...
                    X