Lucky to be alive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky to be alive

I had a very scary near-miss over Labor Day weekend. A car on a side street on the right pulled out suddenly to make a left across three lanes of heavy traffic. I jammed on the brakes and the car skidded to a halt. I could hear the screech and actually smelled the burning rubber. All I have in the way of safety devices is lap belts, and all those do is prevent you from falling out. I was badly shaken. I couldn't make a U-turn and go after the guy because of the heavy traffic, which is just as well, as I would have grabbed the tire iron out of the trunk and who knows what might have happened. I'm 75 and a very peaceful person, but we all have out limits. Now I drive with my bright headlights on. I keep the regular low beams on all time in my daily driver. I'm now thinking of getting a disc brake conversion. Anyone know what the cost of that job might be?
    peter lee

If your brakes can already lock the wheels, I don't think disk brakes will help avoid those situations. Actually, you were lucky not to be rear-ended by someone texting on their phone while driving.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I thought of that too.
      peter lee

Comment

Agree on the brakes, It might be a good time for three point belts though. Glad it wasn't more serious. Bob

Comment

It's a good idea and not expensive, but my car's a Sky Hawk without a center pillar.
          peter lee

Comment

It's scary out on the road today!
            Too many driver distractions and the "me first" attitude of drivers today.
            Witnessed a three vehicle crash the other day. Truck driver on cell phone rear
            ended a GMC Terraine which was shoved into a Toyota Corolla in the oncoming
            lane. Driver who caused the crash never hit his brakes!
            Be careful my friends!
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

What exactly is driving around with your bright lights on supposed to accomplish? You want to blind oncoming traffic so it will end up in your lane? Piss other people off? This is a stupid idea. If you need brighter lights, get halogens...
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Yeah, get halogens and blind 'em even better! Shut off your brights!
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I have halogens. This may sound silly but the reason I use the brights is because there's a big red indicator light on the dash when they're on, & that reminds me to shut them off. My daily driver has auto-off lights so I've forgotten to turn the Studie lights on before. A better solution is probably installing 3-point belts if I can figure out a way of doing on a pillarless hardtop.
                  peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                    I have halogens. This may sound silly but the reason I use the brights is because there's a big red indicator light on the dash when they're on, & that reminds me to shut them off. My daily driver has auto-off lights so I've forgotten to turn the Studie lights on before. A better solution is probably installing 3-point belts if I can figure out a way of doing on a pillarless hardtop.
                    i'm sorry if this sounds mean but - turn the dang brights off and learn where the light switch is.

not only could you cause a crash, a citation for "Failure to Dim Lights" may be in your future.
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Heck, I had my brakes blow the rear wheel cyl (2R5), dump the fluid all over the rear drums and "allow" me to run a stop light within spitting distance of the SNM...

I had to hop a curb and drift "do donuts" or "power slide" (whatever you call it) in a parking lot.... in '07.....

Anybody remember the '07 International? I trailered mine up from Nashville, then attempted to drive it to the show field. Stop at the SNM and then No-Stop at the Stop-Light....

A friendly chevy dealer sold me some $7 a quart fluid to get me back to the hotel and most of that was gone by the time I arrived...

Of course the emergency brake didn't work after the rear drums were soaked with fluid... I wish I had a band on the back of the 3spd O.D. and still do....

think I'll drop a V8 4spd (band brake) with a tall rear gear next time.... All Stude of course!

Comment

hence the reason for my conversion to the TURNER dual piston unit.... at least one set will work at all times.... I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                          It would not be difficult to wire a second light, different color, into the low beam circuit to tell when they are on. Secondly, Installing 3-point belts is not easy in a hardtop. A mount will need to be installed to locate the upper mounting point above the shoulder to set the belt properly.

In my 54K I installed a reinforced plate in the headliner area at about the height in my current cars. I never used it as I installed a "roll bar" setup and ran 4-point belts from there.

Here's a Mustang setup that would get you into the sail panel "C-pillar" area that may be easier to work with.

But in any case you will need to get under the headliner at some point to add the correct height mounting point.

Bob

Comment

I can honestly say - I've NEVER been blinded by oncoming headlights in the daytime. In fact, more than one motorcyclist has saved his butt by having his headlight on. I personally don't do it unless it's raining (then it's state law that you have them on).
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Driving with the bright lights on during daylight hours isn't going to blind anyone. The difference between high and low beam during the day isn't that noticeable IMHO.

Slightly off topic,but I find it amazing that the US is so slow adopting daytime running lights. My brother-in-law has just (10 days ago) moved back to Canada after 8 years in the US. The Canadian Ministry of Transportation would not allow him to bring a car he purchased new in the US into Canada because it doesn't have daytime running lights and a metric speedometer. Changing the speedometer would mean changing the entire instrument cluster and after a little investigation he found that there is no wiring harness for daytime running lights in the car and the factory location of the running light module is such that installing it is a major operation. He left the car with his daughter in Oklahoma.

We have had daytime running lights in Canada for about 25 years - I had a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim with them. As I understand it, (please correct me if I'm wrong)this is a state initiative in the US which to me is ridiculous. When the Canadian government decided running lights were a good idea, every province in Canada was affected, like it or not.

Just a comment, not being political.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X