63 Avanti trans question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: 63 Avanti trans question

Hi I am new here. I am restoring a 63 R1 with automatic trans. The engine and trans rebuilt, it came back assembled. The rebuilders had never worked on a Studebaker before. My question is about the trans to engine install. How critical is the torque converter alignment procedure? Should I pull the trans off the bellhousing to check the alignment? The rebuilders know their stuff, but is Studie special?

Welcome to the SDC Forum!

If this transmission and engine were mated as an assembly originally (before rebuild) there should be no problem (if they did not disurb the alignment pins). If they were separate units (not originally together), then they would have to be dial-indicted/aligned.

I would worry about other things, like did they get the lower part of the block fully cleaned out and did they put the plug back in in the distributor tower.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Torque Converter will most likely align to the Flex Plate and Trans. just fine, it is the Input shaft of the Trans. alignment to the Crankshaft centerline that matters. It is controlled by the Transmission Case, which is centered by the Converter Housing, which centers on the 2 Dowel Pins to the Engine Block.

As mentioned, if this is a Factory matched Set, no problem but after 51 years can you be sure?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
      X