Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If this doesn't warm your heart, nothing will...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If this doesn't warm your heart, nothing will...

A little long for a general post, but you'll enjoy it and it is very much Studebaker.

Many of you will remember the late Harold R. Johnson Jr., the Studebaker engine engineer whom we interviewed for the Feature Article in the March 2010 Turning Wheels. As a club/forum, we also showered him with greetings for his 100th Birthday two years ago this November. You may also recall that he enjoyed those greetings and then, sadly, passed away a mere six weeks later.

Well, out of the clear blue this morning I got the following PM through the forum, which led to the exchange that follows. It is more-or-less self-explanatory from here. I have also alerted Ann Turner to the possibility of using some of Harold's Studebaker writings via Drew in future Turning Wheels.

Dear Bob: First, I would like to send a special thank you to yourself and all the Studebaker Drivers Club members who sent letters to my Grandfather [Harold R. Johnson Jr.] on his 100th birthday. I was there when he opened a good number of them, and saw himself genuinely smiling at a great number of them. As you know, it was in the last full month of his life, but he was lucid enough to understand what they were, and proud enough to stand them up on his dresser. I would also like to thank you for all the sweet words you all had for him when you heard of his passing.

My name is Stephen Bola, I am his grandson who is currently living in Japan with Harold's only great grandchildren. Luckily, he was able to meet both of them and laugh with them before he passed away a year and a half ago.

As you know, my grandfather was a hard worker and was never one to shy away from a little bit of work. He taught himself how to use a computer and wrote his memoirs a few years before his passing. I cleaned up the files he wrote, added some contextual footnotes, and published his book for his entire family to enjoy.

After a recent trip back home, I discovered several thousand pages of documents which have since encouraged me to start the project back up for a second printing. I have learned much more about his time in the Night Vision Program and the Displaced Persons Offices during WW2, his time in the reserves after the war, and his time at Studebaker. I must concede that I am not much of an engineer and there is a lot I just don't understand. It is my hope that I can learn more in the coming months.

I recently subscribed to the international edition of Turning Wheels, and look forward to immersing myself in my Grandfather's passion. If you could assist me, I was hoping you could steer me toward some back issues that may have involved my grandfather. I still do not have an issue of the September 2005 issue of Turning Wheels, and that will be my first purchase, as it has his time working on the flat eight [actually four, Drew] if I recall. Were there any other issues in which he was heavily involved that you might know off the top of your head?

Thanks again for all the support, and the smiles. I know my grandfather's life was enriched by having such a positive community supporting him and everything he did at Studebaker. My relationship with my grandfather was strong but I wish I knew more about engineering so that I could have known more about him. However, it's never too late to start.

Sincerely,
    Stephen Andrew Bola

Hi, Drew;

Wow; how wonderful to hear from you! You've made my day.

It was my privilege to know your Grandpa and interview him extensively around his 97th birthday. That was the Feature Article in the March 2010 Turning Wheels, so you'll want to get a copy of that as well as the September 2005 issue you reference.

(By the way, there is only one edition of Turning Wheels published each month. The Studebaker Drivers Club is indeed an International Organization, but there is no "International" edition of each Turning Wheels; everybody gets the same one no matter where in the world they live.)

You sent me this e-mail as a Private Message, but I am sure many people in the Studebaker world would have their spirits lifted by reading it. May I post it on our Forum and, possibly, in Turning Wheels? General Editor Ann Turner may contact you about publishing some of Harold's material.

Thanks so much. Bob Palma

SURE! Feel free to post anything I write, as long as you go through and correct all my many mistakes. That's what I get for writing at 1:40 in the morning (revision to the flat EIGHT comment would be much appreciated! heh heh). Yes, I have been writing the Johnson family history for the last few years now, and was proud to show him the 200 page book I wrote about our ancestors, complete with pictures of his great-great grandmother, before he passed away.

As I have never had his skills with a wrench, I've always aimlessly wandered through the stories of his time with Studebaker, but now armed with a lot of his old papers, and written comments, I'm determined to give it another go. Wish me luck.

Most of the artifacts I collected back home were about his time in the war, or with his family, either in Colorado, or in northern Indiana. I believe there are some papers that may remain pertaining to his time at Studebaker. As they will have great appeal to you, but comparatively little to me, I'll try to send what little remains. I'll ask my mother Peggy to set aside anything she happens to come across, and I'll take another plunge when I return, possibly during the summer of next year. Whatever we find I'll be sure to earmark for your use.

My sister has his old 1937 Dictator. I live in Japan, but would be willing to pay just about anything to have it, or perhaps a 62 Hawk shipped and put into a local museum close to the town I live in. It is the largest auto museum in Japan, and has 500 cars spread out among its many showrooms. Despite having a small but growing selection of U.S. autos, it has no Studebakers, and I feel it is in need of at least one. Of course, my grandfather's car is best owned by my sister, I know that, but I can't help but wish to show off the cars my Grandfather loved so much to an entire country!

Well I am in need of sleep.
    Thank you so much for your assistance and kindness.
    Stephen "Drew" Bola

Drew references his mother Peggy, Harold's daughter, toward the end. Peggy lives in Bloomington IN and interacted with SDCer Tim Lloyd in tending to Harold. Peggy gave Tim the materials discussed in this topic:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?82538-Do-you-own-this-1963-Hawk-63V27247&highlight=harold+R.+Johnson

No one on the forum has stepped up to claim ownership, so we are running them in the November Co-Operator, hoping that his Hawk survives and is in the hands of an SDCer.

Hopefully, this whole exchange will make everyone's day on the forum. It did mine.
    BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 09-05-2014, 12:12 PM. Reason: duplicate word deleted
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

It sure did warm my heart to read this Bob.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Thanks Bob.
      sigpic
      55 President Deluxe
      64 Commander
      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Yep, made my day! As you know, I am on the Board of Directors of the Indy Honor Flight. We fly WWII Veterans to Washington DC to see their memorial.
        Stephen, I'd like to put you in touch with Steve Hardwick, a school teacher that has written several books on WWII and capturing the stories of Indiana Veterans.
        Thanks for sharing.
        Anybody in the Indianapolis area is invited to the Plainfield High School tomorrow night! Our Welcome Home Celebration will begin about 8:30, you should arrive about the 7:30 pm. Help us Welcome Home 70 WWII Veterans from a day long trip to DC.

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Bob,
          Many thanks for printing Drew's letters to you concerning his grandpa, Harold Johnson,Jr. I saw the video about Harold's 100th birthday. What a long and successful life!
          I always look forward to reading the Cooperator section in TW. It will be even more enjoyable reading the November issue of TW.
          Thanks for everything. You personify all that is great about the Studebaker Drivers Club.

Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
            Bob,
            Many thanks for printing Drew's letters to you concerning his grandpa, Harold Johnson,Jr. I saw the video about Harold's 100th birthday. What a long and successful life!
            I always look forward to reading The Co-Operator section in TW. It will be even more enjoyable reading the November issue of TW.
            Thanks for everything. You personify all that is great about the Studebaker Drivers Club. Rog
            Thank you, Rog! Your kind words are much appreciated. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

BTW, Rog; where did you see the 100th Birthday Party Video?

I've never seen it and would like to. Link, please, if you can locate it.

Thanks. BP

Comment

Working...
              X