Restoration Project Sans Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration Project Sans Title

Hey everybody, I'm new around these parts and looking to get into my first Studebaker. There's a gent close by that has a Golden Hawk in quite a state of disrepair that he's willing to part with. By "state of disrepair" I mean boxes of parts all over the place, body off chassis, not original motor, rust, etc. All that sounds like a lot of work, but I've got patience (hopefully), the part that concerns me is the lack of a title. Seller claims its been registered which is transferable, but I don't really know how that works. Has anybody ever had any experience with a restoration for which you had to apply for a new title? Is this a "dealbreaker" kind of issue? Any New York State experience would be helpful. Really appreciate all the great help and insight the members of the site here are so generous in sharing with clueless newbies like me.

Thanks so much!

- Matt

It's simple in NY. Last time I had one with no title, it was just a matter of a photo of the VIN tag and a trip to the DMV. As you know, there are no titles in NY, you just get a transferable reg. card.

Call or stop by your local DMV, and let us know what you find out.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks so much, Bob! Will keep the group up to date.

Appreciate the help.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

You will find this website very useful. Please keep us updated on your possible acquisition. Sounds like you will have a project on your hands. But then again, it is rewarding to get your hands dirty and be responsible for keeping a piece of American history alive. Look forward to seeing your project.
        1947 Studebaker M-5
        1946 Studebaker M-5
        1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
        1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
        1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Also curious, how sure are you that this is a Golden Hawk? It is a common thing for any Hawk (and there are many) to be mistakenly called a Golden.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I saw in the last Turning Wheels (Studebaker Drivers Club monthly mag.) there is a new SDC chapter in CNY. If you are near Syracuse, might be a good idea to look those folks up. There's also some Stude folks in Western NY, and all over the state, come to think of it. So you are in a Stude friendly neighborhood, no matter where you are in New York

Let us know how it works out with that Hawk. If you don't get it, there are plenty of others around. Best to buy one in the best condition you can afford. You'll be many dollars and labors ahead in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              It's simple in NY. Last time I had one with no title, it was just a matter of a photo of the VIN tag and a trip to the DMV. As you know, there are no titles in NY, you just get a transferable reg. card.

Call or stop by your local DMV, and let us know what you find out.
              Bob A. is correct for any Studebaker, but I thought that I should expand his statement of "...no titles in NY..." before someone thinks that all cars do not have titles in NY. As a dealer, I know that Bob knows the difference, but others may not. NYS issues titles for all 1973 and newer cars. For pre-1973 cars, NYS issues a transferable registration. That is the proper ownership for those cars.
              I see another potential problem for you. In the 1950s (all Golden Hawks), NYS usually used the engine number, not the serial number to register cars. With the engine changed, the numbers on the registration will not match the car, unless this has been corrected/updated in the past. I recommend registering it with the Serial Number (on the A pillar, between hinges on driver's door). This normally only requires a pencil tracing, or perhaps a photo, of the S/N plate.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There are about nine SDC Chapters in NYS. Where are you located?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Be sure to put the car in your name before you sink any money/time/effort into the restoration, or even before just letting it sit in the back 40.

A co-worker of mine spent years restoring a 55 K-body. After he was done, he went to the DMV to put it in his name, found out it was stolen, and had to surrender the car with no compensation. Learn from other's mistakes.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                  X