Well, crud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, crud

I'm not always the brightest bulb. For the most part, I have a very well worked out system for keeping my Lark up on its maintenance. On my checklist is adding oil to my rear differential, as it leaks. About every other week I go through the car and check everything, including the rear differential fluid.

Well, either because the summer has been busy or because I'm a moron (probably more of the latter), I forgot to check the rear differential last time I did the rounds. I may have also forgotten the time before that, but I'm not sure.

So a couple days ago, the family and I went to a cruise in about 15 minutes from home by interstate. When we got off the interstate a few blocks away, I noticed a sort of metallic sound that was especially bad whenever I rounded a corner. I had just put on some new brake shoes, so I thought maybe it was brake noise, and I'd check it later at home.

Eventually I realized what I'd done (or in this case, hadn't), raised the car, and sure enough, that differential is drier than the Sahara. I added fluid, but it's still making the metallic rubbing noise. It's not super loud, but since Thursday it has worsened some.

So remember, if you haven't lately, and especially if it leaks, check that diff fluid!

This would usually be an annoyance, but the timing was especially bad this week, as our minivan with 200,000 miles on it finally gave up the ghost, which means that the Lark is our only transportation. My investment account will send me a check sometime in the next week or two so I can replace the van, but in the meantime, I've got to address this quick. That said, does anyone in relatively easy driving difference from Omaha (or willing to meet in the middle) have a very affordable (as all my cash is going into replacing the van) 3.07 Dana 27 TT axle that's rebuilt or in good shape that they'd like to sell? I'd consider switching to a 44 TT too, but then there's all sorts of bits I'd need to make the changeover, so sticking with my little 27 might be easiest.

Any other thoughts guys? I'm all ears if so, but otherwise, like I said, don't forge to check your fluids!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Jim,

I've got a couple model 27s in the barn but I think they're all 3.73. I would need to look to be sure.

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Comment

Let me know Jeff. If you've got one I'd love to come snag it.

Comment

Sorry to hear this, Jim. Things do seem to come in threes, don't they

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I just double checked this morning - my rear axle is definitely a 3.07. If anyone has one in decent shape and you live somewhere in the Midwest, let me know.

If all else fails and I just have to get mine rebuilt, what sort of expense am I looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
            I just double checked this morning - my rear axle is definitely a 3.07. If anyone has one in decent shape and you live somewhere in the Midwest, let me know.

If all else fails and I just have to get mine rebuilt, what sort of expense am I looking at?
            Since you have nothing to lose, you might try taking the cover off and cleaning it out and refill with gear oil and add about half a pint of STP. Might run for years but if not nothing lost but your time and some lube.

Ted

Comment

Jim, I did a rebuild on my 3.31 TT earlier in the year, and it ran $1,100, but that included R+R of the axles and new bearings pressed on, plus a new pinion seal. Since you've got an open diff, you should come in less.

My adventure was also the result of a slow drip, but the other way round: it was leaking from the cover seal, so I filled it and tightened the screws. When full, it then began leaking from the pinion If it ain't one thing, it's another.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Clark -

Yikes! I'm hoping that the "inflated costs because we live in California where everything is 4 times more expensive than the heartland" price! I'll have to call a couple shops and see what kind of cost I'm looking at if I go that route. How long was your turnaround time?

Ted -

I might give that a shot. Like you say, I've got nothing really to lose at this point. My only concern is that I know from a previous owner that this diff was run dry once before, and the same thing was done back then. It had always made a little noise all the years I've owned it.

In other news, is anyone heading from Pennsylvania towards the midwest anytime soon with a little spare cargo room? I *might* have found a replacement axle out there (waiting to confirm that it's a match to what I need). If not, I might look into Greyhound's shipping service. Has anyone sent an axle using Greyhound before?

Comment

I haven't used Greyhound for years, but in the past it was good and someone on the Forum recommended it for a fuel tank a while back. Go For It!

Comment

Yeah, many members have recommended Greyhound shipping over the years.

Jim, my job took 3 weeks, but it's an old-style driveline shop where things move at their own pace, so YMMV

Comment

I've used it and it's ok..... Cheap.
                      You just "Have to" meet the bus when it gets to the station, or at least ensure that you keep careful track.
                      Otherwise it's on the merry-go-round until it gets back.

Comment

Working...
                      X